POOP!

Previously I have used gravel type substrates, but I then got African cichlids and figured sand was better. Since then I have been plagued by poop! I'm sure I'm not over feeding (to much at least) and have enough filtration (90g w/ Ehime 2028 and Rena XP4). I have tried adding a HOB but I still get poop! The 2nd tank below with maybe 30 fish total, is the biggest problem.

Is this common with sand, that poop just sits on the bottom, and then get stirred up once in a while?

I'm sure with gravel its still there but just hidden, but I could go for hidden right now.

NB - I also am not talking about brown poop soup water, its clear just poop at the bottom.

Edited by happeboy

I've seen Fairdeal's tanks, immaculate, and he swears by Maylasian Trumpet Snails...I have some in 1 tank...apparently they hide when it's light out and eat everything, including poop at night.

Note - I have seen other posts in this and other forums that they hate those snails cause they get into everything...up to you.

I think it all has to do with water circulation when using sand. I get quite the 'buildup' in some dead spots on some of my tanks, and it really seems to depend on how the rockwork and filter output is arranged. With gravel it essentially gets stuck in it and settles through it. I'd personally rather have it on top so that it can be sucked out easier than having to vacuum every square inch of bottom with gravel just to start getting it out. I think that's the reason people have come up with the undergravel jets, is to be able to direct the flow exactly as they please and completely eliminate these dead spots. If it really bothers you it might be something to think about doing, either having one of your existing filters run it, or using a powerhead.

Circulation is key but the poop will always collect on top of the sand. Its just better with higher circualtion, as then it usually collects in the corner, dips in the sand or "dead" spots. IN one of my tanks with sand I have a powerhead blowing across the front of the tank so most of the poop collects behind the driftwood.

This is one of the reasons I still prefer gravel. I can't stand seeing the poop collect and I find gravel WAY easiler to gravel vac.