rare tilapia bythobates

finaddict

superstore has some nice large tilapia..only 3.99 a pound

Distochodus - Look at this post and ask yourself - "Does this really add any value to the forum." If you think it does, there is probably a place for you on mfk.com.

Connie,

I did not know that there were any small Tilapia. How big will these get? Are they agressive?

Kevin

Edited by Kevin

Yes they are from lake bermin in africa.

they were peaceful until 3 days ago when 2 started to pair.

i removed 2 adult daffodils as they were just chasing any thing that moved...haha

and had to remove all the rocks in the process.

the pair remind me of kribensis when breeding... (this is my tank back off) attitude. I believe i read they get to between 5-6 inhes when grown. my guys are barely 1.5 inches.. herbivores in the wild .

i have them in a 38g corner tank, with the other 2 bythobates... but may have to move them soon...

i did not want to disturb them so i left the rocks out.

there is not a lot of info on them on the internet...

stay tuned for pix/updates.

superstore has some nice large tilapia..only 3.99 a pound

Distochodus - Look at this post and ask yourself - "Does this really add any value to the forum." If you think it does, there is probably a place for you on mfk.com.

Connie,

I did not know that there were any small Tilapia. How big will these get? Are they agressive?

Kevin

Tilapia bythobates reaches a length of 15cm.. and they arent very aggressive, even when spawning. I bought mine as Tilapia snyderae but they turned out to be Tilapia bythobates. the two species look very similar. I was under the empression that they were very difficult to find in the hobby these days...Mine never paired off but when they matured their belly's turned a beautiful red

good luck with the breeding..

• 3 weeks later...

update they have layed eggs 4 times already.

first time eggs went all white.

second time julies ate them. they have been removed now...

3rd- i removed them to a 3gallon. and are currently seeing if they are going to hatch.

4th time 2 days after the 3rd time they layed eggs again on the lava rock. which was yesterday. so i am going to leave them in tank with the parents and 1 cory and 2 snails...

very prolific little fishes.. they are only 2 inches max.