Dwarf Gourami problem

Jackie

I have 2 dwarf gouramis, and i think one has a disease...I have never owed one before so I dont know much about them....now 1 of them is doing great no probs as of now, but the other one has a mark on its back side (either a fish took a little chunk off of him/her or he/she rubbed on a rock) But the biggest prob with the fish was this morning and it has white furry bits all over the body...kidda puffing up over the scales....Please help

thanks Jackie

I'm pretty new to fish, but it sure sounds like a fungal or bacterial infection to me.

I'd recommend

separating the fish if possible

water temperature not less than 82 F

add salt (Epsom or Aquarium) to the water - I think it's at a ratio of 1/2 to 1 tsp / 5 gal

add Melafix at recommended dose

add Pimafix at recommended dose

Go to the LFS and look for a medicine that will treat fungus &/or bacteria. There are some pretty reasonably priced brands, but I don't know enough to advise on good ones.

Hope this helps!

Angie's recommendation is spot-on. You can try other meds, but I am always reticent to add medications to my tanks. Mela/Pimafix usually get the job done for most wounds.