Flourish Excel and Vals?

Mandy

My wife and I both have tanks using vals, and use Excel as the sole carbon source added. I have been happy with the growth over the last year or so; I have read here also that using Excel at recommended doses (not the high doses some use to kill off algae!!) will not cause problems. OTOH, there are also reports of vals and other plants quickly melting away under the influence.

Just my experience and reading.... ;)

If used as per instructed, Excel will not kill Val. HOwever, if you up the dose at all, your Val will melt. This has been my experience.

I've been using a 1.5 - 2x dose of Excel and my spiral vals are doing just fine. But I have a lot of very hungry plants, so my guess is that the excel gets taken up quickly enough that it doesn't stay at that high concentration for very long.

The other thing about Excel and my vals - some of the older leaves did "melt" in the beginning, but it made enough new leaves fast enough that it was OK, and now that they've adjusted they're doing fine.