Installing flourescent inside wooden canopy.. help?

PintoHawk

After alot of researching, I think we have come up with a good design for my 20gallon canopy. I tried calling around for a price quote to order one, but the costs were unbelievable for the canopy alone, so we decided to try and make our own instead.

It will end up being a short box placed on top the tank, with a hinged hatch along the front. Simple design, nothing to brag about, but effective.

Only problem we face is finding a good kit to install the flourescent light up inside. The guys at Home Hardware said their kits wouldn't be tank-safe because of condensation. What do you guys know about this?

Will we need a tank-safe kit? Tank-safe bulbs and wiring and everything?

From what I can see, looking at my other (store-bought) canopy, the light is encased in a box and protected by a plastic window, so the water can't collect in the light casing at all.

So.... do we buy & install ANY flourescent kit we want, and just make sure it is protected from the water, using a box-type design and sealing it with silicone so water doesn't seep up inside?

Suggestions? Tutorials you have found online? Anything at all will be helpful at this point, we are worried about electrocuting the fish... LOL

Thanks!

Thanks for the link, Werner, but those kits are shipped from the states, it looks like $50 for the kit I would need plus $25 shipping. Should arrive in a month, which is a long time. I will keep looking in Alberta/Canada for an available kit. Good link, though, at least I know this type of product IS out there somewhere. ;)

Thanks, Byte, that looks VERY similar to what we actually purchased...

We found the perfect equipment at Home Hardware this morning. It's an aquarium-safe lighting kit (flourescent) with the end caps you are talking about, easy installation type deal, and work perfectly with our canopy design. He is outside working on it right now. I am so excited. :)

Appreciate the link. :)

We found the perfect equipment at Home Hardware this morning. It's an aquarium-safe lighting kit (flourescent) with the end caps you are talking about, easy installation type deal, and work perfectly with our canopy design.

I had a hard time to find any lights to work underneath my stand. Could I please have the part number of the kit that you bought at Home Hardware? The hagen kit was expensive by the time I bought the ballast, reflectors, and light bulbs.

I had a hard time to find any lights to work underneath my stand. Could I please have the part number of the kit that you bought at Home Hardware? The hagen kit was expensive by the time I bought the ballast, reflectors, and light bulbs.

Yes, certainly, it is:

General Electric Company

34 watts, 25" long bulb (they didn't have any other lengths at all)

Part# I am not sure but there is a number on the top of the pgk: 98002

Also; PC#12263 and Desc: FBS25/GS/PP

I paid about $24 for the kit, it comes with one bulb and a life of 7500 hours.

Pictures:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u302/ka.../fish/light.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u302/ka...fish/light2.jpg

Wal-Mart had a very similar kit - it was a "soft light" deal (alot cheaper) - but NOT suitable for aquariums. I live in Taber, Southern Alberta, and we got it at Home Hardware here in town; they had a few stocked in the store, no need to order it, thank gawd. Hopefully you can find one near you. If not, let me know, I will buy the one or two that are left at my local store and mail them to you, LOL

General Electric Company

34 watts, 25" long bulb (they didn't have any other lengths at all)

Part# I am not sure but there is a number on the top of the pgk: 98002

Also; PC#12263 and Desc: FBS25/GS/PP

I paid about $24 for the kit, it comes with one bulb and a life of 7500 hours.

light.jpg

The package states to use for plants and aquariums, but when I look at the color temperature of the bulb (3050K), it really makes me wonder. I thought plants liked the 5000K to 10,000K range...

Here are the specs: FBS25/GS/PP

:)

If I'm remembering correctly, these used to be really purple looking (lots of red & blue like grow lights), but it seems like they might have changed the line for a more natural look- the CRI is rated at 90.

All of GE's "plant and aquarium" bulbs are listed at 3050K. The plants don't really care what the Kelvin rating is, as long as they're getting the red and blue wavelengths they need. The output spectrum looks fine. However esthetically, you might find that the light appears more yellow than you would like, especially if you're used to 10,000K or actinic bulbs.

Ah yes, the yellow light issue is actually a big peeve of mine... I want my plants & fish to have the light they need/enjoy, or at least is not going to bother them, but I also want to see everything clearly and at its best.

It has only 2 prongs... why? Is this bad for the tank/electrical shock?

I used one of these lights in the past as a 'quick fix', and thought they were rather cheap and essentially useless for growing plants. It provided light in the tank to look at the fish, but that was about as far as I'd go with it. The end caps are actually glued right to the bulb, which I didn't really the idea of either (so they're not actually sealed against moisture getting to the metal connectors, just two spots of glue to keep them attached). When the bulb burns out or needs to be replaced, you throw the whole thing in the trash and buy a new one.

I know the Hagen GLO kit does add up, but you're getting a FAR superior product. You won't have to re-do your lighting if you decide to try different bulbs etc. b/c the Hagen kit allows you essentially any bulb options you'd like (not to mention too that it's High Output bulbs). And as far as reflectors go too, back a couple of years ago when I initially built my top for a 125 I was looking into the reflective qualities of paint vs. polished reflectors, and I believe that FLAT white paint was actually much closer to the same reflective capabilities of polished metal than I would've ever thought.

...essentially useless for growing plants. It provided light in the tank to look at the fish, but that was about as far as I'd go with it.

Oh, that's crappy. I will be adding plants to that tank eventually. The dining room where the tank IS, has good flourescent lighting, so maybe that'll make up for it some? Also, lots of natural light if I lift the blinds on the big window.

I will probably end up getting an actual canopy, unless we decide to tackle this project again later and redo everything. :)