Rhamphochromis spawning

African_Fever

I've had these guys for over a year now, and the second species, the ones I believe are R. macrophthalamus, have finally spawned (the other R. 'woodi' have been spawning regularly the entire time I've had them).

I had been thinking the five I have were all males because they were never all that aggressive, and never really showed any signs of spawning like the others. But last week before I went away I noticed they had become more and more aggressive towards one another, as well as with the other species. When I returned home and really started watching them yesterday, I noticed that one of my 'males' was carrying.

I know they're not exactly the prettiest cichlids out there (could almost be one of the ugliest!), but they're definitely one of my favourites. There's not many other cichlids that have the speed and teeth that these guys have. And after keeping the same old mbuna, haps, and peacocks for so long (that don't really differ much once you've kept them), these guys really helped get me interested in cichlids again (if only I could get ahold of some Bathybates now!).

This solidifies my belief that I do in fact have two different species; some people out there thought that the different head shape and body shape was just due to hormones in older males (and I wasn't completely opposed to the idea either, somewhat similar to the vast changes salmon go through when spawning). But with one now carrying (and she's even got a really deformed mouth), I'm sure that they are in fact two different species.

I'll try to get some new pics later today.

Not all the best pics, but I'm hoping it at least shows the differences I see between the two species I've got (and not even 100% sure on that, could possibly be 3 species, who knows). All these pics are without flash b/c the flash distorts the colours way too much.

First pic is a female of each species, both carrying. The R. 'macrophthalmus' female is the darker of the two with a more 'dished out' or concave head profile (I know it's a crappy pic, but I think it shows the differences between the species quite well - the heater doesn't help, but I think you can still see the head profile enough to make out the difference).

post-45-1208471538_thumb.jpg

Two pics of the dominant male R. 'woodi' - their colour in general is more yellow-silver or lighter silver when compared to the other species. This is as close as I can get to their breeding dress - essentially solid silver (no barring/stripes) with yellow fins, and maybe a hint of blue (very light) throughout.

post-45-1208471569_thumb.jpg

post-45-1208471575_thumb.jpg

And now two pics of R. 'macrophthalmus' males - neither are very good pics (they seem more skittish and not nearly as willing to pose as the other species), but I'm hoping they at least show the differences in the head shape, and the completely different breeding dress - a darker silver/grey, with vertical bars.

post-45-1208471551_thumb.jpg

post-45-1208471557_thumb.jpg

The females of both species have the same horizontal stripes, and when not fighting or displaying the males will often show them as well.

I'm not sure on the first pic about the difference above the top jaw as I have a female Dimidiochromis dimidiatus that has that same type of look that I assumed came from smacking her head on glass or something as the other 4 don't have it. I will try too get a pic. I know she didn't have that head shape when I first got them

Okay couple quick pics one with boinked head and one without. I'm not saying you are wrong I'm just giving you more to think about

Bunthead

fish1004.jpg

proper head

fish1005.jpg

Looking at these photos I would guess them to be different species but I'm 100 percent sure the bunt head happened while I had the fish here

Edited by JORG