Shelving Unit Question

Slough Shark

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch your tank height! I am 6'2" and I found that a tank placed higher than my arm will reach to be VERY difficult to maintain...

For example: My 65 is 24" deep so I cannot put this higher than my armpit, or I'd never reach the bottom of the tank. So this tank sitting 30" off the ground is more than enough. I have a pair of 'gripper jaws on a stick" is use to keep my arms dry, but for moving rocks, etc at water change time they just don't have the snort I need (I have some good sized rocks!)so I end up literally up to my t-shirt sleeve. Put a tank too high, and the maintenance becomes a chore, or worse, is neglected because it's too difficult.

As for stands, I have a set of the ones Val linked from Canadian Tire and can vouch for their solidarity. I use them split into 2 3foot units and with the 65 on one, full with rocks and fish, it never squeaked. There was also a 30g on the bottom shelf at the same time... no troubles. The only thing I needed to do was use a 2" square piece of 1/2" poplar for foot supports, as it was on carpet and the feet of this stand would have cut right through the carpet with that much weight. They come with little plastic protectors, but they are useless. I Mac-Tac'd the tops of the particle board in a black marble look.

I believe Rona sells the same stand.