plywood tank

snaggle

I am going to be building a plywood tank in the near future. I got the plans off of GARF but in the plans it says to use to automotive putty to fill all the holes in the plywood. Is there any reason why it would say to use that instead of using plastic wood filler?

Also dose any one know where to get two part epoxy paint in Edmonton?

I special ordered mine from Totem, and I know that Jorg has picked up another brand from elsewhere. There shouldn't be any holes to fill if you're using a high quality plywood - I used a ply that was finished both sides, so had no real prep or anything to do before building and painting. The only reason I would think they'd say to use auto putty is that maybe some wood putty reacts with the epoxy (it's not the nicest stuff to work with).

Good luck; I'm starting another build ASAP too.

I special ordered mine from Totem, and I know that Jorg has picked up another brand from elsewhere. There shouldn't be any holes to fill if you're using a high quality plywood - I used a ply that was finished both sides, so had no real prep or anything to do before building and painting. The only reason I would think they'd say to use auto putty is that maybe some wood putty reacts with the epoxy (it's not the nicest stuff to work with).

Good luck; I'm starting another build ASAP too.

Do you remember the how much the paint cost and the coverage of one can? I calculated I need around to do around 40 sq feet per coat for the inside so I am hopping that I can do 3 coats with one can if I prime it first. Should use this pain on the out side two or can I use plain old paint?

Brad - the paint was about $65 for a gallon of both parts A and B, and I'd say I used a little more than 1/2 doing 3 coats on my 72x36x22 tank. The first coat uses the most, with the second two not quite using as much. I never primed mine first, but it might make the first coat easier to apply. I wouldn't worry about using this paint on the oustide of the tank - go back over the thread of mine on my tank, as it explains what I used for everything and where I used which paint too.