Ouch! Poor Oscar.

Stacey

A while back I added some of my countless horde of Malasian Trumpet Snails to my Oscar's tank. I knew he'd eat them. Most of the time he chewed them first. This time he didn't. He is currently suffering from the results of that, as in, he's got a whole shell (wedged sideways!) sticking out of his bum. Ouch!

He is passing it. It's more visible than it was a few hours ago when I noticed it this morning. I have treated him with Epsom Salts and he's been fed peas.

I'm concerned about the damage afterwards. Would Tee Tree Oil (Melafix) help as a suitable anti-bacterial agent for afterwards? Or do I need something stronger?

I'm pretty confident he will pass it, he's a big, healthy fish. I'm also pretty confident that this experience won't stop him from eating what he shouldn't. :grr: He used to eat gravel.

Edited to add: He's now passed it.He's swollen, and a small flap of torn skin is hanging. Going to go do a water change and add the tea tree oil.

Edited by Stacey

Honestly, I have nothing useful to add except to say, "Ow. owowowow boy does that sting!"

I hope he gets better.

use the pond melafix.

it works waaay better and is more potent.

I skip the Melafix altogether and just add Tea Tree Oil. (which is Melafix's active ingredient) It's not always recommended for smaller fish, but these guy's are big! (Oscar and Pleco)

Looking good today, and still pooping..... which brings up another question....... Do I feed him over the next couple of days or not? My first inclination would be no, let him heal a bit more, BUT then I thought, what if he gets hungry enough to go snails hunting again? :bang1: I did pick out all the big ones I could see.....

I'm thinking if I do feed him I should stick to the peas....

This happened to one of my oscars a while back. I used a pair of tweezers to turn the shell and pull it out.