Best source for fish-safe peat

I'm in need of a source TODAY for peat to soften my water somewhat for some of the new rays coming in. If anyone has ever used peat themselves and knows of the best place in Calgary to pick some up (preferrably in the North), I'm all ears. And if anyone has any recommendations on where the best/easiest to use peat can be ordered from when I've actually got time, I'd love to hear it as well. Does anyone know how quickly peat actually works to soften the water?

Thanks in advance.

I'm in need of a source TODAY for peat to soften my water somewhat for some of the new rays coming in. If anyone has ever used peat themselves and knows of the best place in Calgary to pick some up (preferrably in the North), I'm all ears. And if anyone has any recommendations on where the best/easiest to use peat can be ordered from when I've actually got time, I'd love to hear it as well. Does anyone know how quickly peat actually works to soften the water?

Thanks in advance.

I just use Premirer Peat Moss found in an local garden centre. The peat will tan you water at first, but usually it will go away, I like to soak mine before putting in. I can't tell you how long it took before it started to lower the ph I honestly didn't keep a record of that. Maybe someone else can tell you in general how long it would take.

I didn't have any issues with this Peat for my betta's they loved it. I just switched everything over to R/o mixture and started to remove the peat as it was no longer needed.

Anyways, I hope this helps.

:thumbs:

ok will sound stupid but what is peat???

It's not a stupid question only question that is stupid is the ones not ask :thumbs:

Peat Moss is used in gardens for the soil... it helps maintain moisture... usually is ground up leave and wood particals...

we use Peat in aquariums to help lower PH consistantly in our tanks.. helps keep the water soft for fish that prefer lower PH values.

Usually city water has a netural PH 7.5 to 7.8 but some fish like Discus thrive in a lower PH value water 5 - 6.5 (correct me if I am wrong in those guys don't know alot about Discus) :unsure: Anyways, the Peat moss decreases these values slightly... Usually Peat is put under subtrate (gravel or rocks) and or in my case I put in a nylon sack for betta's because the tank size is much smaller.

I hope this helps :thumbs:

Fluval makes peat for their filters. It is a hard pellet of pressed peat (looks like rabbit food :) which expands a lot when it gets wet. Leave lots of room in the filter!

Edited by byte