DIY glass tank....??

Boom

I recently aqcuired some free glass. Several sheets about 18" by 36" or so that I'm gonna guess is 3/16" thick. And I also have an old mirror that i think is the same thickness. (I'll take exact measurements of thickness with digital calipers later today).

I was thinking of using the mirror for the back and bottom of the tank, and the other glass for the front, sides and lid.

I have never built my own tank before. How hard is it? I have a very solid knowledge of building things out of wood.

Also, the clear glass is beveled on the edges, I assume I will need to cut the bevels off with a glass cutter?

Does anyone have a link of a walkthrough on how to build a tank?

Any idea how large the tank can be with 3/16" glass? Would 36"x18"x18" be ok?

Thanks.

3/16 glass pretty thin for building a tank with I believe that most 10 to 15 gallon tanks are made from 3/16 glass. any larger and the glass gets thicker. If you want to make 20 to 25 gallon tanks you would need rigid frames and or a fixed bracing system.

So I checked and the glass is actually 1/4 inch thick. It is definitely plate glass because it has some holes drilled in places. I will cut those parts off.

Do you think it's a good idea to try?

Anyone have walkthrough plans to build a tank. I'm thinking it will be in the 50 to 60 gallon range. Not sure on exact dimensions yet but likely won't be any taller than 16".

Thanks.

Check out the DIY section on garf.org. They have a calculator that gives you a cut list and recommends glass thickness for various depths.

Fill it outside the first time, leave it sit full for a couple days to do a leak check. It's kind of fun filling the first time, waiting with anticipation for it to blow, lol.