issues with silicone when relining tank

clockwork

here is the scoop:

i had started the process of cleaning and relining a used tank (75 gallons). the glass on this tank is unusually thick, i am going to estimate 1/4 inch as it is not on hand for measurement. anyways, in my haste scrapping the silicone i made a few dips into between the two pieces of glass. what impact will this have on the structural integrity of the tank? have i made myself a lot of work (as in having to redo the silicone in between pieces of glass)?

please give your thoughts on this topic! i am particularly interested to hear what Sam Chicklets has to say.

thanks in advance!

post-script(s):

is there any advantage in using construction grade silicone?

anyone know how to get those stick on thermometers off?

I have just recently re sealed a aquarium about 1 week ago. When I was striping all the old stuff out I also

putt a few small slips in the glass connection but it just being such a small slit I was not to worried about it '

so I don't really see it being a problem. Be sure to strip all the old stuff out with a sharp blade I used a

Red Devil single edged razor blade. Then do a good vacuum to get all the left overs out its the easiest

way. Then i put a small bead of silicone starting from each bottom corner and all the way along the seams

then go back over it with your finger from the bottom corner back over the bead that you continued.

I filled mine about 2 days later and left it sit for about 1 hour and no leaks. And boy did it leak bad before I did

this. Good Luck on the project!

Oh ya and the stick on thermometers come of pretty easy using the same kind of blade.

Edited by bigfishal

If it's thick glass, it is most likely 3/8" not 1/4". If you only made a few minor dips into the joints it should not be an issue. I use only silicone that is known as safe for aquariums. For under $4 a tube it is worth while just to buy the Home Hardware brand or GE I.