Salvini with a side of fries

Linsay

My Salvini eggs just hatched a few days ago and there's a swarm of little fry. :rofl:

I know Salvini can be very aggressive defending them, but I'm wondering how I can curb that at all, if I can. Disco (my female green terror) is getting nipped at pretty bad, well just about everyone is, but she seems to be baring the brunt of it. :bang1:

Should I remove the fry? or will that make it worse?

My Salvini eggs just hatched a few days ago and there's a swarm of little fry. :rofl:

I know Salvini can be very aggressive defending them, but I'm wondering how I can curb that at all, if I can. Disco (my female green terror) is getting nipped at pretty bad, well just about everyone is, but she seems to be baring the brunt of it. :bang1:

Should I remove the fry? or will that make it worse?

Could you put up a tank divider?? If they were mine I would move the fry to a separate tank...Thats just my opinion.... If you dont have an extra tank I would try using a tank divider...

I think would say the best thing to do is to remove the fry also.

The adults may still be a bit territorial for a day or 2 but then they will settle down. The trick is getting all the fry out

because if you leave even 5 in there they will protect them! What I used to do is use the end of a siphon to suck all the

fry into a 5 gallon pail.

Good luck!

Cool, thanks.

I thought about using a turkey baster to get 'em out :shifty: . Mom picked out a great hiding spot between a huge rock and the back wall of the tank - it's a pretty tight spot. The siphon is a great idea though - maybe i could fit a piece of airline tubing onto it- hmmmm....

I have a 15g nursery tank going on right now with some nyererei fry and a holding saulosi that I can put them in. I'll likely put them in one of those floating boxes in there for now, until they get fast enough to out swim the nyererei.

So then, if/when I take them out what do I feel them? Crushed up NLS 'grow'? They've still got some egg sack for now I think.

I know it's a crummy picture, but i have to use a mirror and a flashlight to see them - they're at the back of the tank. They're that dark patch on top of the sand in the corner.

post-3269-1211863019_thumb.jpg

They are still in the wiggler stage if they have the yolk sacks attached. If you siphon them off now survival rate will be low. A tank divider would be your best bet until they be come free swimming.

They are still in the wiggler stage if they have the yolk sacks attached. If you siphon them off now survival rate will be low. A tank divider would be your best bet until they be come free swimming.

That makes sense.

Although I'll likely end up with a low survival rate anyway because once they're free swimming they'll be meals on whells - err..fins - Oh well, I didn't really need 199 Salvini anyway. :P

Thank you :D