my fish

randy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

cool, those are some nice looking fish. How do you find the banded Leporinus are doing with the others? They are some nice fish. The socolofi can get pretty aggressive, and so can your leporinus. I would watch these guys with your loaches. IMO you probably don't even need the loaches with all the bottom feeders you do have in there, and they like to be in softer water/lower pH compared to the others, and do best in larger groups. I just bought a couple of synodontis angelicus from golds on friday, they are great, and I have noticed they can be territorial. What size of tank are these guys in?

The banded Leporinus are doing well with the others (every one still has their fins). Purchaed them from LF thought they looked cool, got them home them did some research on them. Oops did not know they would get so big. (lerned my lesson to find out about them first befor purchasing). They only fight with each other, and not very often.

The socolofi are pretty aggressive but only to each other had 6 of them now down to 3 I think I started out with 4 males and one female. The female has been holding 3 times now but not little ones.

The loaches are holding their own, read that they were compatable with cichlids (second lesson every one on the internet is an expert just ask them). Actualy do not get bothered by any of the other fish. At feeding time they rule the tank.

The problem I have now is with the Electric Yellows, boy do the breed a lot!!!! Trying to get rid of a few of them.

The Sailfin Catfish was given to me May 07 has hole in head lateral line Diseases, still has holes have not gotten any worse since I got it, eats well and is quite active.

Synodontis Angelicus are they black or brown? I have a 54g bow front corner tank. Will be setting up a 33g next month or so once I get it shipped up.

Edited by randy

The synos I got are almost a black color, or they are a very dark brown. Very nice too. If you had 4 males and only 2 female socolofi that would be why you are down to 3. Best ratios if you can get them would be 1 male to 4-5 females or if you have a larger colony of them you can get away with more males. If the catfish still has hole in the head I would try and treat him with a proper medication. Sometimes the disease can linger and can be fatal to the fish. As well he might spread it to your other fish (let's hope not). My tiger oscars once got hole in the head, I treated them asap and now they are totally fine. Yellow labs do breed like crazy, I just got one batch from stripping a female and I have another one holding. Any mbuna will breed quite well if they are taken good care of, so that is a good sign that you are doing great things for them. I took my holding female out of the main tank at about 3 weeks of holding, and then stripped her and put her in the tank with the babies where she spit the rest. I decided to not strip a polit I had and left her in the same tank and she spit all on her own. Or if you have trouble finding places to get rid of the babies, just leave her in the tank to spit and let the other fish eat the babies. I know it is a cruel method but I have had to do it before with some of my fish.

With the socolofi that’s what I figured happened (1 disppeared and 2 got beat up)

The catfish will be moved to a separate tank this weekend. What is the proper medication for this, need something very generic as the LFS has a limited supply of fish stuff (they only carry Hagen products for example). From what I have read on the web (Learned to read about 10 sites and then try to figure it out) it is not contagious. But if there is a product that works exceptionally well I will have it flown in. I to think how may tanks I would end up with if I lived in Calgary again (might be something like you list of tanks, are they all up and running water chages must be a full day event).

For the Yellowes I do leave them in the tank to spit and let the other fish eat the babies. Ya sound cruel but that’s nature and is better than splash, flush, and swirl. I still end up with 4 to 5 with each brood must be too many hiding places for them.

You have some lovely looking fish.

I am a real fan of loaches and I'm a bit concerned. From what I found on the 'net:

Pseudotropheus socolofi (Albino) need a pH range of 7.8 - 8.6 with very hard water

borleyi need a pH range of 8.0 – 8.5

Electric yellow cichlids need a pH range of 7.5 - 9.0 with very hard water

However, if you go to www.loaches.com you will find that Clown loaches need pH of 6.5 - 7.0 with soft water. As well, they prefer to be in groups of 5 or more and get to be 16 inches in size.

Here is a picture of one of the members of Loaches Online (Emma Turner) her name is Marge and she is 11.5 inches (so not even full grown)

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown...ia-macracanthus (just scroll down the page to see her picture).

For some reason, people think that clown loaches do well with African cichlids. They actually don't do well and although yours seem fine now, you may run into space and health issues with them later on.

Good luck and I wish you all the best with your finned friends!

You have some lovely looking fish.

I am a real fan of loaches and I'm a bit concerned. From what I found on the 'net:

Pseudotropheus socolofi (Albino) need a pH range of 7.8 - 8.6 with very hard water

borleyi need a pH range of 8.0 – 8.5

Electric yellow cichlids need a pH range of 7.5 - 9.0 with very hard water

However, if you go to www.loaches.com you will find that Clown loaches need pH of 6.5 - 7.0 with soft water. As well, they prefer to be in groups of 5 or more and get to be 16 inches in size.

Here is a picture of one of the members of Loaches Online (Emma Turner) her name is Marge and she is 11.5 inches (so not even full grown)

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown...ia-macracanthus (just scroll down the page to see her picture).

For some reason, people think that clown loaches do well with African cichlids. They actually don't do well and although yours seem fine now, you may run into space and health issues with them later on.

Good luck and I wish you all the best with your finned friends!

If its working let it be, and unless you have discus, its dumb to play with Alberta's water.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the vancouver aquarium on tuesday before I left to come home. And they had a bunch of the leporinus in one of their show tanks. Theirs were huge. They were in with fish like rays, severums, satanopercas, etc. Very interesting to see them in a tank that size. I also would not recommend messing with water parameters unless you really have to. Most fish here have been acclimated to our parameters, and will survive in what you provide for them. They may not live as long as they would in the suitable parameters, but they should do fine. How else does river front have some clown loaches that are about a foot in length, I am sure they don't use RO water in a 200 gallon tank.