Discus eating stingrays

Dalray

Just a little tidbit,

i came home today to my 2 golden discus eating the top of my largest stingray. The stingray now has a hole in the top of its head. what should i do. put it out of its misery or hospital it. i am not sure what to do here. And the discus are always eating until they look like a fat plank of wood.

any suggestions?

Separate the goldens from the rays

yikes!

That does sound like a problem. I'am sure your ray tank is bigger then your hospital tank so move the goldens into the hospital tank and leave your ray in his tank. I bet he is stressed out from what is happening to him and I think moving him would just make him more stressed out. Once you move the goldens try to treat your ray with some healing meds. (try melafix).......................but the most important thing to do is to get those goldens out of there! :D

I lost 2 rays in the past to this remove them immediately. I had 2 hysterixs in a 200 gal with 10 bigger discus in the tank. I noticed one night that some of the food landed on the backs of the rays and the discus would pick it off after a few days there were some sores on the rays backs and the discus were picking at them. I had no where to move them too (back then i was about the only one i knew with big tanks or rays) over night the discus went crazy and in the morning two dead rays with a 1 1/2" flesh missing around there disks.... Since then I have always recommended not keeping small rays with discus.

Edited by CORVETTE

I lost 2 rays in the past to this remove them immediately. I had 2 hysterics in a 200 gal with 10 bigger discus in the tank. I noticed one night that some of the food landed on the backs of the rays and the discus would pick it off after a few days there were some sores on the rays backs and the discus were picking at them. I had no where to move them too (back then i was about the only one i knew with big tanks or rays) over night the discus went crazy and in the morning two dead rays with a 1 1/2" flesh missing around there disks.... Since then I have always recommended not keeping small rays with discus.

:o

I have heard some horror stories of big Rays going after and attacking Discus. Big or small, they don't seem like a very good mix...

Wow, I didn't even think that you could keep discus and rays together. I would have to also suggest moving the discus. That's too bad, and I wish you luck with him healing...melafix is a great choice to help with that. Let us know how it goes.

In the wild discus and rays live together in the flood plains of the Amazon. Apparently figuring rays as bottom dwellers and discus as mid water fish doesn't work in aquariums. Back when i mixed the two together and lost my rays i contacted Jack Watley for info on this combination and his reply was he couldn't see a problem with it do to the different characteristics of the fish. We were wrong, who new?

I picture a Discus and think nice and calm, not like a Red Devil or Convict type personality..learning new stuff all the time!!

In the wild discus and rays live together in the flood plains of the Amazon. Apparently figuring rays as bottom dwellers and discus as mid water fish doesn't work in aquariums. Back when i mixed the two together and lost my rays i contacted Jack Watley for info on this combination and his reply was he couldn't see a problem with it do to the different characteristics of the fish. We were wrong, who new?

Yeah you do have a good point there. I myself have never kept rays, and I would have thought they might have been the ones to kill discus. I don't find that my discus pick at the bottom of the tank very much, but I guess if something seems like food to them, then they will pick at it. Discus are often thought of as gentle peaceful fish, but I have found sometimes they are the ones that can be mean at times. I guess this will be something that all of us can learn from.

• 4 months later...