anybody breeding these?

sharuq1

I am unsure why you have the color change in the cherries. Zebras are Caridina sp. and Cherry shrimp are Neocardina denticulata var. red. They are from 2 different genus and it is extremely unlikely they would interbreed.

Here is a great website that shows which species are likely to crossbreed http://www.crustaforum.com/images/crossbreeding_big.jpg, hope it helps.

Some of the english may seem unusual, I think it is because it was translated from German.

The Zebras that have been passed around Edmonton and Calgary the last year or so are difficult to identify in the shrimp sites / i do not believe they are true Zebras.. As I also think it would be unlikely that they would interbreed if they were.... My tank of that mix tells me that either they will interbreed or the Zebras are a caricina sp. of some type..

thanks for your thoughts... maybe someone else can add to this

I am unsure why you have the color change in the cherries. Zebras are Caridina sp. and Cherry shrimp are Neocardina denticulata var. red. They are from 2 different genus and it is extremely unlikely they would interbreed.

Here is a great website that shows which species are likely to crossbreed http://www.crustaforum.com/images/crossbreeding_big.jpg, hope it helps.

Some of the english may seem unusual, I think it is because it was translated from German.

The Zebras that have been passed around Edmonton and Calgary the last year or so are difficult to identify in the shrimp sites / i do not believe they are true Zebras.. As I also think it would be unlikely that they would interbreed if they were.... My tank of that mix tells me that either they will interbreed or the Zebras are a caricina sp. of some type..

thanks for your thoughts... maybe someone else can add to this

The membership of Crustaform contains some of the foremost experts on freshwater shrimp in the hobby. Many of the new species in the trade are first introduced via Germany. If anybody knows what they are talking about, it would be them.

I've found that some lighter-coloured cherries do appear to have stripes. It is also not unusual to have male cherries swimming around all the time. They are much more active in that regards than the females (especially after a female has molted).

Zebras are caridina sp. but cherries are neocaridina (as are snowballs), which is a different genus altogether. Based on everything I've read, I agree that a neocaridina species should not be able to crossbreed with a caridina species.

If you'd like a more definite answer on the possibility of RCS & zebras interbreeding , you could always try asking Mustafa at PetShrimp.com or one of the shrimp mods on Crustaforum.