anybody breeding these?

sharuq1

I'm interested in getting some more crystal red shrimp, and maybe some other types of dwarf shrimp (eg. greens or blues or something), anyone breeding?

I'm interested in getting some more crystal red shrimp, and maybe some other types of dwarf shrimp (eg. greens or blues or something), anyone breeding?

I am breeding Black Crystal Shrimp, also amano (attempting) Crystal and Black are pretty much the same..

They aren't complicated throw some in a tank hopefully you have males and females.

www.petshrimp.com

This is a great link for information on all the different species... I plan on trying to get more.. I know Mykiss has a large selection of different shrimps avail.

Taiwan/snowball/cherry etc..

Good luck...

Sharug I know you're into salt water, amano is quite the challenge to breed maybe something to look into! :thumbs:

I read somewhere that you shouldn't have the blacks and the reds (crystal) in the same tank because it screws with the genetics. Can anyone confirm this? I just have the one shrimp tank with RCS and CRS. Are there any shrimp I can't put in with these due to genetic issues?

Oh, I have breed them... thumbup.gif I have a healthy stock right now...

Its the Amano I am trying to breed - this one is my challenge

I would be interested in your blacks if I can put them with reds without issue :) let me know f you are successful with the amano, they sound tough.

I read somewhere that you shouldn't have the blacks and the reds (crystal) in the same tank because it screws with the genetics. Can anyone confirm this? I just have the one shrimp tank with RCS and CRS. Are there any shrimp I can't put in with these due to genetic issues?

I would be interested in your blacks if I can put them with reds without issue :) let me know f you are successful with the amano, they sound tough.

I believe if you put red in with black they well hybrid... you can put shrimp in with shrimp... but certain types can't be put together because of the hybrid issues.

oh and the Amano Shrimp are extremely difficult to reproduce... I doubt I will be successful, but willing to try.. it will be interesting.

I did find one time a really great link that explains which shrimp you can have together and which not too... darn if I can find it now... Murphy's law et all ..

If I do run across it again I will let you know.

I believe if you put red in with black they well hybrid... you can put shrimp in with shrimp... but certain types can't be put together because of the hybrid issues.

oh and the Amano Shrimp are extremely difficult to reproduce... I doubt I will be successful, but willing to try.. it will be interesting.

I did find one time a really great link that explains which shrimp you can have together and which not too... darn if I can find it now... Murphy's law et all ..

If I do run across it again I will let you know.

Check out this site http://www.shrimpfanatics.com/shrimp-species.html

As I understand the red is a recessive of the black, so if you cross these the offspring will be black. Also, one shouldn't keep different color morphs/varieties of the same species together or they can cross, in this case Caridina species.

I have 4 Amano shrimp and the female has eggs almost all the time...unfortunately, I know nothing about brackish/salt tanks and the eggs just end up being eaten. :shock: I am strictly a freshie...I can raise almost anything in fresh water...but I know I would screw up salt lol!

Tammy

gobies et al: thanks for the link!

Fish Frenzy: I bet you would be just as good at sw as you are with fresh. Salt isn't really as hard as people make it out to be, just when you have been in it long enough to get comfortable you tend to want to get more advanced (so then all the techno and chemical talk, lol).

I don't think I will add in the blacks with the reds if they are going to hybridize; that would be bad. If my two red ones die though I will get some blacks :) (much rather buy from breeders than from stores, better quality animals usually). If anyone is breeding the crystal reds I would love to hear from you. ^_^

BlackMumba: can you tell us a little more about how you have everything setup so your crystals will breed? Do you do anything special, like special food or RO water or additives?

Edited by sharuq1

The real problem with amanos is getting the larvae to survive to free swimming stage. You basically need to move the recently hatched larvae from freshwater to saltwater and then keep them alive. This is why I was lookng for a phytoplankton culture a couple of weeks ago. I just haven't had time to isolate my berried amanos to collect the larvae.

This is a good resource for Amano shrimp.

I know first hand that cardina will hybridize... I have a tank that had zebra and cherry shrimp in it... guess what the shrimp in that tank now are for the most part crosses.... the cherries are the more dominant and I have not seen a true zebra for months... I see many shrimp that have little red lines and some that are more like the true cherries... I know the zebra genes are still in the shrimp because the behaviour of many of the shrimp is that of the zebra always moving about.... but never the less they are hybrids in that tank...

I wonder what would happen if I throw in some of my green shrimp that are starting to multiply ..... JK that will not happen LOL

Here is the set up I currently have for my shrimp tank:

10gal, with java moss (I think this is important) also, drift wood... with subtrate rocks mainly, regular size.

I use 90% RO and 10% well water so that brings my water to neutral because of my Well water...

I usually have to add minerals because of this, so I add:

1/4 teaspoon of Tropica Master Grow (Nature's Corner has a great supply of)

1/2 teaspoon of Kent Botanica (broad range Vitamin and Mineral supply) Big Al's supplies this

I change the water regularly, keeping good clean water helps.

I just checked on them, and it appears I will be having some more batches here soon... :thumbs:

Other then that I did nothing more or less then I did for my cherry tank... but I also note that my daughters cherry tank needed to be thined out recently and I inadvertly added some to this tank.. and a couple of tigers (hoping no hybrids will come from this) but I know that my babies currently aren't hybrid because this was recent.. and they were before the transfer...

As for Amano:

I have a 2.5 gal tank with PPT 1.024 or 32 salt water tank... sponge filter and subtrate nothing fancy... I also picked up some phytoplankton (Aquarium Ath) for their food once hatched. Now to find the buggers is another story... :unsure: I haven't had them be released yet and haven't a clue what I should be looking for... but apparently they are attracted to light.. so hopefully.. :thumbs:

I know first hand that cardina will hybridize... I have a tank that had zebra and cherry shrimp in it... guess what the shrimp in that tank now are for the most part crosses.... the cherries are the more dominant and I have not seen a true zebra for months... I see many shrimp that have little red lines and some that are more like the true cherries... I know the zebra genes are still in the shrimp because the behaviour of many of the shrimp is that of the zebra always moving about.... but never the less they are hybrids in that tank...

I wonder what would happen if I throw in some of my green shrimp that are starting to multiply ..... JK that will not happen LOL

I've often wondered why there seemed to be so much variation in colour strains of RCS. I've had a few in the past that were a deep deep red but the stock I have currently is somewhat pale and the red is splotchy. I think I've made some posts looking for better quality RCS but haven't come across anyone that really has some nice ones (except the ones I got from Jason a while back -but I lost that group to a tank crash). Still looking for a few dark red females, w/o the white stripe on their back.

I am unsure why you have the color change in the cherries. Zebras are Caridina sp. and Cherry shrimp are Neocardina denticulata var. red. They are from 2 different genus and it is extremely unlikely they would interbreed.

Here is a great website that shows which species are likely to crossbreed http://www.crustaforum.com/images/crossbreeding_big.jpg, hope it helps.

Some of the english may seem unusual, I think it is because it was translated from German.

I heard there is even a blue variety of crystal now. Never actually seen one except pics though. I also noticed the red comes out much more in my tank when the shrimp are at 25degrees and the substrate is very dark. When it was light or cooler (both rcs and crs) they looked like very light brown and white.

1/4 teaspoon of Tropica Master Grow (Nature's Corner has a great supply of)
What is that and what is it used for? Edited by sharuq1