White Spot on an Apisto

maniac

Hey Everyone,

I have an Apisto. Caucatoide that has a little white spot above his lateral line that looks a little pussy. It is slightly swollen around the mark so I'm just trying to figure out if it is there because of a fungal infection or a rub mark?

If it's fungal what is the best way to treat it?

Here are some pics, although they are not the greatest;

Visit My Website

Visit My Website

Thanks,

Edited by maniac

Hey Everyone,

I have an Apisto. Caucatoide that has a little white spot above his lateral line that looks a little pussy. It is slightly swollen around the mark so I'm just trying to figure out if it is there because of a fungal infection or a rub mark?

If it's fungal what is the best way to treat it?

Here are some pics, although they are not the greatest;

Visit My Website

Visit My Website

Thanks,

That looks to me like a classic case of Ich.

It starts out with little raised spots like that but, apparently, most people, myself included, don't catch it this early.

I can't make recommendations, I'll leave that up to those more knowledgable than I, but Rid-Ich is one product to treat this with.

Gives you a place to start your site search at.

Rick

Thanks for the post, but I'm pretty sure it's not ich. That was my first thought when I saw him glance off the piece of driftwood that I have in my tank but it's been there for a few days (probably 3-5) and so far there is no spreading and no other fish seems affected by anything.

Thanks for the post, but I'm pretty sure it's not ich. That was my first thought when I saw him glance off the piece of driftwood that I have in my tank but it's been there for a few days (probably 3-5) and so far there is no spreading and no other fish seems affected by anything.

This is a good thing!

Here's wishing you luck that it's not.

Rick

From the bit that I read about Apistogrammas, they are very sensitive to pollutants and medications. You could try to treat this by being meticulous with your fish keeping. Does your filter need cleaning/ more frequent water changes/ the parameters at optimum levels? If he is otherwise healthy and eating, clean conditions and allowing him to heal himself may be the best and least harmful course.

It looks fuzzy. My concern is that I don't have a hospital tank right now. I had to tear it down for resealing a little bit ago and it's not ready to go yet. Can I dose the whole tank even though the other fish aren't affected? Does a plastic container work to isolate him in? suggestions?