Best place in Calgary for live rock and SW equipment?

thegrandpoohbah

In your opinion, what is the best source for live rock and equipment (skimmers, lights, salt, etc.) in Calgary. I'm getting my hands on a 24G Nanocube and want to start up a reef tank. I've done FOWLR in the past but that was in Vancouver. I know Elite, Riverfront, Wai's and Ocean City all carry SW stuff but have no idea which one is better for quality and price. Thanks.

Go to golds aquariums on 17th ave SE i even see guys from other stores there buying salt water stuff.....LOL opps i let the cat out of the bag i hope no one gets in trouble...

Don't have much SW experience, but I know golds does have some really good coral they grow themselves, and other SW stuff. I always buy FW cichlids from them and their prices are usually really good and good quality products.

Edited by firestorm

Maybe there are many more places that deal with SW out there than there are here. I will be going out to vancouver for the first week of july, so if there happened to be anything I can check into out there for you, I can do that.

Edited by firestorm

Maybe there are many more places that deal with SW out there than there are here. I will be going out to vancouver for the first week of july, so if there happened to be anything I can check into out there for you I can do that.

Thanks for the offer but there is no need. I'm just going to place an order with J&L online.

for equipment you can't beat J&L's prices but i highly reccomend red coral and hope they become a good compeditor with them. I have been to them all and its my favorite place to go. I pop into elite from time to time and they are the only other place I go to. come to think of it I have some credit at golds but it sooo far

I guess also depending on where you are living. Golds is pretty close to me and so are ones like the chain stores and pisces. I would have to say in the NE or close by, it is one of the best around here. Riverfront is not too far, but I just hate driving downtown. Big al's is opening their calgary store here in the NE, I might check them out to see if they are any good. I have heard good and bad things about their stores. I will definitely check out J&L while I am out there.

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old topic but last time I was in Pisces (2 weeks ago) they have been going hard on the SW side of things. Quite a few SW display tanks and a fairly good selection of livestock. Still can't touch RC imo, but it's coming along nicely.

• 2 weeks later...