Yellow labs

fish_man

I have a group of 10 or so mature labs

2 males rest are females,

i was wondering how often they will reproduce on a average scale.

i have had mine for around 2 months and have well over 80 babies in the grow out tank

and more on the way.

is there a way to slow down the breeding? i dont want to take the males out because they are deffs the lookers in the tank.

should i stop listening to barrie white at night?

If you have lots of rock work in your tank you may be in for a surprise!! When I had my 1m and 2f about 2 years ago

in my 130gal also with man other cichlids and lots of rock work they started to multiply very fast! First I had the Trio and after about 2 months all the fry that survived turned out to be about 20 1.5-2inch little buggers all over the tank! From only the one female breeding the other one would never breed so I only had the one breeding. I eventually took all the 20 labs out of the tank and sold them all and the same thing happened! So I moved them into another tank a 180gallon with more larger predator fish hoping that the fry would not multiply so fast but no same thing even more! After about 2 years now I have sold well over 250 yellow labs! So with your 8 females you may be in for a surprise! LOL

Good luck!

I currently have 11 yellow labs, one I just stripped and there are at least 2 more holding. They do breed quite easily and are harder to get rid of because there are so many of them out there. Like they have said, leave them to spit in the main tank and at least it will cut down on the amount that survive. I know some will get lost in the rocks and hide until they are big enough not to get eaten, but at least you're having to deal with fewer babies. Besides if you were to rescape your tank once in a while and give it a good cleaning under decos I am sure once those babies are exposed they will get eaten. I was trying a while back to take some convict fry from my tank, I had to remove all the deco just to catch them. I ended up going from about 20 babies to about 8. The rest must have been eaten since they had no place to hide. Oh well, no big deal, this last spawn they had I left the fry in there and they have all been eaten up. So for population control it is much better to leave them.