Iridescent Shark

Raven

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah are quite interested fish. A type of catfish is what I hear aswell. They can grow fast if fed the right food, and can easily grow to 2 feet in an aquarium, and have been caught at 4feet in the wild (So I hear, and have read)

They will eat what ever fits in their mouths, and are generally hardy fish. Be careful, they are also strong fish, and I had one flip out and smash my thermometer

2 foot ID Sharks are very common. These are one of the many catfish that should not be sold to anyone as with their size, not many can house them. They also do better in groups of 3 or more so this becomes even more problematic. The are also extremely skittish and will always be this way. This is not as much of an issue with small ones, however when a group of 2 foot fish are freaking out in your decorated tank it becomes more than problematic. Somthing is going to give.

All and all a cool fish, however defiantley not for anyone. I think they do better in indoor ponds as the reflection of glass can make them wig out.

Our Iridescent Shark is about 24-26" and is one of our fish with personality! He has a permanent "smudge" on the top of his head from hitting the top of the tank - he loves to break water! He will "vacuum" the surface when it's feeding time - he loves Hikari pellets & Milk Bones! He is a velvety black with shiny silver underbelly. He will also try to school with the Tin Foil Barbs. When my husband is in the tank, Sharky is real curious & is constantly underfoot & investigating what he is doing. This was a "pity" purchase - he was all head & eyeballs when we brought him home, and I never was a big Iridescent fan, but he has turned out to be one of our favorites! :D

Considering I see ID sharks in most pet stores most of the time you have to wonder how long they last. You certainly don't hear of many 2'ers. The sewers must be full of them :angry: .

PACU LADY - I'm so glad I finally got to see a picture of your tank :drool: . I sure would like to see more *hint, hint*

OK... size is a problem... Ive a single 50 g. Will he really out grow the tank? Ive heard my CAE will grow to a foot or more and forever hes been slightly smaller then our rainbow shark. I went to pjs ask about fish that grow to the same size of the RS. She recomened the IDS said it grew to 8 inches. Liars -.- How fast do they grow anyway? You say you have had yours for a year or so... but what do they grow like when you buy them at 2 inches?

Hmm.... makes me think, maybe ill do some reash on them and test out on my own to see how fast one will grow. Think is i most likely wont be able to keep it after it reaches 2 feet.... would you take it afterwards?

That is one good thing about them. They are incredibly slow growers in an aquarium. If you hit 6 inches in a year you are doing good. Then they will really slow down from there. Some say this is due to small tank syndrome. They will get stunted really easily.

so.... just like why my CAE is smaller then it should be? Ok thats good, i was starting to worry about how big it get.... when i showed pics to some poeple they were wondering it the fish was eatable-.- Oh another thing, the lady at pj said that IDS like slightly salty water because they are a scaless fish.... sooo how much salt should i put in?

Most ID sharks die by 12" or so, by either jumping out of the tank or bashing their faces on the tank ends (a drawback of transparent tank ends...the fish often do not realise when they are there...especially when spooked). I have seen tons of 18"-26" ID sharks dumped on pet shops....and these are likely less than 0.5% of those sold yearly as babies.

If you have adequate filtration and do lots of good-sized water-changes (something only about 2% of aquarists are actually 'adequate' with), your shark will not be stunted, and will hit 12" fairly quickly.