How popular do you think these shrimp will be?????

be carefull with planet inverts, check bcaquaria thread on them. verry high shipping casulty rate too. would be VERRY cool to try em out anyways

Hey All many members out here in BC have purchased these shrimp, as Rocker said there is an extremely High Shipping Casulty Rate, I follow shrimp and have done so for some time, they have not been proven to breed in Captivity that well , I know of only 2 breeders that have had any sucess , with exception to newly purchased onces coming already Berried

Hope this helps. Also look at the water Requirements and you will more then likely change your mind.

Cheers

24/7

Actually, here in Alberta our water perimeters are almost exactly the same, ph 8 + not sure about GH and KH as I have done alot of research that this isn't as important as the PH Values.

There have been alot of success in Germany which their tap is 8+ pH with GH 6 KH 3

The more important values to think about is the PH and also the Temp of your water it must be 27 degrees or close to that same with the PH Values.

Our PH is steady so that takes care of one of the two values.

There have been alot of reports of high mortality majority of these deaths were because of Planetinvert who was THE ONLY supplier of them in North America at the time, and guess what he had them in PH values of 6.8 and 24 degrees.

Even when many told him not too that the REQUIRE higher PH values he ignored it. I read every post regarding this very issue, I am about to spend alot of money on this guys.

Yes there are deaths associated with these guys that is why they are going to be pricey to get.

I had also read alot of other forums with high mortality rates as well, every single one of the people who tried and failed with them had less then Optium PH Values, less the recommended.

Not suggesting that this will fix the deaths getting wild versions of these guys take care and responsiblity researching the water chemistry of the lakes they came from and trying to match it to the best of our ability.

I can imagine that there will be alot of loss in this... but as for the BC posts I have read and re read them... trying to determine if I should try or not..

But I have also read that in Germany there is SUCCESS why them and not us??? Maybe because they are actually following the requirements to a tee.

I know that everyone on the BC forum did follow the requirements, and certainly not suggesting they didn't try hard... but the supplier was questionable in his business practices and being that he had NOT put these guys into required water perimeters to begin not to mention the many other things that this transaction had happen.

I believe there was one gentleman who has had some deaths but majority success ??? Southern Bill (?) Arizonia -

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill has done well with them, have you seen his set up's and years of experience shrimp keeping,,,

I'm only telling you this as I did alot of work to get things sorted out when dealing with the above mentioned dealer of these shrimp in BC, but this is not the only problem contributing factor in keeping these shrimp. But I'm sure you know

Good luck with your venture,,,

Edited by 24/7

Bill has done well with them, have you seen his set up's and years of experience shrimp keeping,,,

I'm only telling you this as I did alot of work to get things sorted out when dealing with the above mentioned dealer of these shrimp in BC, but this is not the only problem contributing factor in keeping these shrimp. But I'm sure you know

Good luck with your venture,,,

Thanks, I appreciate any suggestions and of course concerns anyone is willing to share, this isn't for the faint of heart for sure, I am still on the fence!!

There are serious risks with these shrimps, I am certainly not one to ignore this tragedy...

But I am certainly excited at the prospect trying to raise healthly home breed stock to supply locally, and offer someone who might want the opportunity to do the same that might be successful. I stress MIGHT BE as its not determined yet if it is at all possible they will or can be, a few have managed to do it.. so its possible!!

:thumbs:

I think this certainly is a great idea. And for you to plan all of this and arrange everything is just extraordinary. How many shrimp of one kind do you think would be best to order to have a successful rate? Also what tank size minimum would you suggest for breeding them? I myself have never bred shrimp, so I am not sure if it would be worth risking me doing so. But I do have experience in raising shrimp, as well as breeding fish. I would be willing to try and take the chance of breeding some. I will do research into these guys and find out if I would have the appropriate means of copying their natural habitat to the best of my abilities. Keep us posted on any info you get.

I think this certainly is a great idea. And for you to plan all of this and arrange everything is just extraordinary. How many shrimp of one kind do you think would be best to order to have a successful rate? Also what tank size minimum would you suggest for breeding them? I myself have never bred shrimp, so I am not sure if it would be worth risking me doing so. But I do have experience in raising shrimp, as well as breeding fish. I would be willing to try and take the chance of breeding some. I will do research into these guys and find out if I would have the appropriate means of copying their natural habitat to the best of my abilities. Keep us posted on any info you get.

Thanks, its an exciting opportunity for all of us, if successful. I just got word from my supplier! I had a million questions and he answered them all!! Yes these would be wild caught shrimp. So, DOA will be expected which is normal for any wild species.

I asked if he was or had plans to re established any that he takes from the Lakes, he indicated that the Lake is very well stocked with them, there won't be any impact to their population. :unsure:

I asked him had he had success in breeding them in captivity he said he had some, but his business is not to breed but to sell... so there was some fry but not many.

He has shipped to Korea and had only a 10% DOA on shipments, he said that because Canada is much further away that it will be a bit higher ratio but he will replace any DOA!! GOOD TO KNOW !

I asked him if he will ship them with heat packs, yes he would as many importers are saying they will do much better with them so that is not an issue.

As for packing they will be packed individually with a small sponge, this will limit shrimp damage and not add too much toxins to the water, with a higher PH value the PH increases these toxins. So, he is willing to go the extra mile with this shipment! :thumbs:

There really isn't alot of information out there yet, a few success's but not many.

I am trying to find information regarding the lakes water perimeters the values etc.. the other forums have said that the water is very alkline and soft. So these are what people are using that are having some success:

PH 8.2 - 8.3

KH 6 -7

GH 11 - 12

The lakes these come from have freshwater sponges that grow in them, which may or may not be a source of food for some species. It's not verified yes or no.

Now in Alberta our tap water is very very similiar to this almost perfect. They are comparing the lakes, they may have formed like the african rift lakes. Which has me thinking if that is true, then its very possible that Alberta might have the right stuff to effectively breed these creatures.

They are very shy and prefer dark then the light, so they apparently hide alot...

If someone can get me a link showing what they have found the ph Kh and Gh at I have been looking but I haven't found anything, and what I did find was too sci fi for my layman's tongue lol

As for the food there are reports they are fussy eaters, but some have had success at some food sources, so I am still researching and waiting for more people that have these what is working for them.

As for the shipment It looks like we will be going through with it, but its going to take at least a month before any arrive, then another 2 weeks to make sure they are healthy if they all survive by then I will take orders.

So, we are looking at about 1 1/2 before anyone will be able to see them. Of course Patrick will have to take pictures !! LOL

Also the gent I am working with in Indoenisa IS NOT THE SUPPLIER OF PLANETINVERT as we previously thought, Someone from another post did order from my supplier did receive them, there was DOA but not so much that he couldn't work with.

I have asked my supplier to take extra precautions on shipment of them being they are so delicate with Heat packs, individually bagged etc.. and he is going to supply a little sponge for each bag.

Hopefully this procedure of shipment will reduce the number of DOA's, but I will expect some these are wild caught to think otherwise is foolish!

I will keep you all posted, but if anyone wants to keep this forum open, make suggestions on husbandry and the like that would be beneficial to anyone who might be interested in purchasing these guys in the near future if its possible to keep them in aquariums.

I would love to hear experiences from members that have some, what was their water like... what do they eat etc..

The betta's will be arriving with this order btw, I will have 20 pairs of channoides/20 betta HM/20 CT/2 Pair of SHOW quality HM Yellow and Dragon.

Prices will be posted when they arrive !

:thumbs:

Edited by BlackMumba

I'm hooked! Hope all goes well and GOOD LUCK!!! Can't wait to see them. BTW if you'd like to bring in a pair of green HM if they're available I'd buy those for sure. :D Sue

I am not sure what colors I am getting, only the Show quality as those I am paying more for as a pair. The others aren't show quality, but will be beautiful just the same. I can ask for Green HM show quality but they are considerably more? Let me know if your still interested. As for the the others they are going to be a surprise !

I searched "Sulawesi" on PFK in hopes that they would have an article, they did- and I think it is some useful info:

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...m.php?news=1072

BlackMumba- when the supplier says he will provide a sponge, does he mean these freshwater sponges endemic to the Sulawesi Lakes?

Thanks,

Taylor

EDIT: I didn't read much of this one, but it may be useful for research: http://download.naturkundemuseum-berlin.de...0al.%202007.pdf

And a link from a shrimp forum that can be used with the info in the above link: http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/showthread...awesi-2838.html

I hope some of this info is useful to your research :)

Edited by Slough Shark

http://download.naturkundemuseum-berlin.de...4rbz271-276.pdf

More scientific business. I should think these shrimps would be ok just eating algae wafers.

And another forum page:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumap...imp-photos.html

I am very interested in the harlequin shrimps and the blue cardinal shrimps. Are you bringing either of those in BlackMumba? Have you seen pics of the sulawesi snails? They look very unique!

Edited by Slough Shark

:thumbs: Thats awesome, the first link was very helpful.. it does appear that they LIVE in these sponges, and that is Only one species that does. They studied the shrimp to see if the sponge was a source of food but after they emptied the contents of the stomach they discovered that they DO NOT eat theses sponges only live in them, they did however find contents of diatoms

Diatoms are beautiful microscopic algae. They can be found inboth marine and fresh water. So, in other words if they are eating these Diatoms which are abundant everywhere including moss growing outside your home, if its moist you have Diatoms... interesting.

So, a food source for these creatures isn't the problem... they will eat other things as well, so stravation isn't the issue.

As far as the sponge he is putting in the bags, I can only imagine that its a regular sponge not one of these, but I will double check to make sure.

So, if I were to get dried old sponge material similiar in look and feel, they might find it homey.. Would certainly help with stress maybe they use these to escape pretators... So, if they have no homes maybe it stress's them.. dunno but its a good idea!!! Mawhahaha !!

In my order I have requested only 3 types.. and I decreased my order as well JUST IN CASE !!

harlequin shrimps are one of the varieties I have requested, but when I place the order its about availablity. I have heard that these guys are also harder to keep then the Cardinals because the harlequin shrimps I believe are the species that live on these sponges, correct me if I am wrong here... I get confused there are SO many different types I believe there are in total 25 species. So very colorful and some not.

As Far as the blue cardinal shrimp no just the red cardinal but lets wait and see before I say NO and get a surpise who's to say !!!

I have had a request for Sulawesi Snails as well, and inquired about them my supplier does not have them in just yet, but when he does he will add them to his stock list.

I have been only concentrating on the Shrimp, and I am not sure about the sucess rates on the snails either.

I Personally have troubles keeping snails, dunno could be because of my water chemistry here so I am reluctant... but if they come avail, I will work on getting someone who is more experienced to take on the snails I will bring them in at that time, but I don't want to risk loosing them too.. especially since I DON"T have ANy luck with snails period!!!!

My shrimp population here though is really good.. Very weird!! LOL

Edited by BlackMumba

How many of each type of shrimp will you be ordering? I like the harlequin shrimp, so I will take some of those when they arrive :) Do you know if regular sponges will do the trick? When you find out that would be great.

Edited by firestorm

How many of each type of shrimp will you be ordering? I like the harlequin shrimp, so I will take some of those when they arrive :) Do you know if regular sponges will do the trick? When you find out that would be great.

We are working on this, order presently we had a snag in the shipping... the closest port of entry is Vancouver :unsure: how to get them from there to here without problems.

Its a bit tricky but we are determined to find a way.. I will keep you posted for sure, and the Harlequins are one of the species we believe will be available..