How popular do you think these shrimp will be?????

SULAWESI SHRIMP

Would you guys be interested in purchasing some? IF I were to bring them in, btw they won't be cheap they are new to the market!!!

http://www.planetinverts.com/shrimp_from_sulawesi.html

Origin: Sulawesi, Indonesia

Size: 1 cm / 0.40in

Water temperature: 80 - 82 °F

Water Parameters: pH 7.5 - 8+

Breeding Rate: n/a

Behaviour: non-aggressive

Difficulty: variable by species

Breeds in freshwater: yes; brackish water not required

I can get up to 9 different species... is there any interest? Price has not be decided yet I haven't made up my mind!

But seriously thinking about it... :thumbs:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The blue's won't be available, I don't think at least thats not one's he shown me. The prices would be reasonable compariable to what is out there at present.

looking at 9.99 each approx...

That of course depends on shipping!

I could also get mouth brooding betta's at a resonable price, Channoides prefer to be in groups... peaceful fish... these will be 15 each... or 30 a pair

Imbellis would be 12 each!

and they also can be with other fish as well, I would be investing alot of Dough bringing these guys in, so I want to make sure there will be enough of a demand to justify my decision.

I am working on getting bringing in more wild types rare or hard to find species..

Note that because of the new discovery of this lake, and the species there are not too many reports on successfully breeding the shrimps, although a gentleman in Spain has had no difficulty.. if you have the right ph it should naturally happen... they want to have these guys breeding in captivity they don't know the numbers left in the lake.. so they want them to be breed and are now just learning their habits. Also there were some interesting fish species unknown to anyone they found very interesting reading!!!

Once they become established, I imagine everyone will be flushing their RCS for these guys. They have all the colour intensity of saltwater shrimp and in more variety. It's difficult to say if the native shrimp populations will hold out given the sudden and high demand the hobby has placed on the species. Very difficult to acquire and even harder to keep and breed (only a handful of successful instances in North America so far).

I would be interested in 2-4 Betta pugnax depending on price. Are you ordering bettas from Atison?

I want to try some of those shrimpies, but what with the new pressure on the wild population, I think I'll leave them to people who are confident that they can successfully breed them. I would suggest others do the same so that we (aquarists) do not wipe out a new and unique species- it has certainly happenned before.

What other Bettas might you be bringing in?

Thanks,

Taylor

Just to note: These will not be ordered by Planetinvert, I am going direct from Indonesia.. same supplier as Planetinvert... I have read the concerns about their mortality rate, shipping without heat packs etc...

I will make sure my supplier is well aware of the facts, and assure me of a DOA warranty before I even start the order! I will also require that heat packs are provided and extra care in the shipping so if there are loss's they will be min.. and do everything we can to assure a safe arrival.

i will not be promising anyone anything until they are safely in my home and in tanks well rested before orders will be placed.. .I have to make sure I have enough before sales.

The costs associated with these guys are mentioned above at 9.99 each... (may change depends on how this all works out)this covers me any loss's and shipping. I will talk to the supplier to make sure the same thing does not happen to me as it has in the past with Planetinvert. Which we aren't sure what happened there prob very rushed vendor and excited at the prospect of getting them out to clients without taken time to work it out properly. Which is unfortunate...

I have been seeing alot of demand for these shrimp, they are perfect for the ph values in Alberta (which is normally not the case) as said before they offer great coloration to your tank, and are breedable!!! We just don't have alot of factual information as of yet, but I am sure there will be soon as there are more hobbist obtaining them, this is a very exciting opporunity to be part of.

I have been reading forums and there has been more successful breeding happening with happy shrimplets...

These are very very new species discovered and no scienfic names have been produced for them, so names very with different cultures etc... Their discovery was in November 2007 along with more unnamed fish within the same lake Posi ??? spelling...

Anyways, I am doing my research and making sure that I make a good decision and try to offer you guys a great deal!!

They want the aquarium industry to reproduce them to make sure their numbers grow in aquarium circles so that the Lake Posi does not have its wild population destroyed...

As far as the betta's they will be Channoides which are very very interesting... I will provide a link below:

http://brianstropicals.com/channoides.html

They grow to a length of 2" peaceful fish and can live together in a group or in with no aggressive fish. They are mouth brooders as with the ones below, only difference between the two, one retails for 400.00 a apair. (macrostoma)

These guys are minatures of

Betta macrostoma

Maximum size: 14 cm / 5.5 inches

Same water values

The betta Imbellis Bubblenest builder but peaceful and can be added to a community tank, breeds much like the Splenden.

http://aquaworld.netfirms.com/Labyrinthfis...ta_imbellis.htm

So, Slough its not from Atison this time.. and no Pugnax were on his list but maybe in the future there will be but I thought I would point out the channoides to you, I think these guys you will enjoy!

I think I'll leave them to people who are confident that they can successfully breed them. I would suggest others do the same so that we (aquarists) do not wipe out a new and unique species- it has certainly happenned before.
well said slough shark, VERRY responsible thinking. i've been reserching them on many sites and its the same everywhere, mass casualties in shipping, and keeping of them. if your going to keep them, do your homework first

I have to agree also with Slough about being responsible and take extra care of these species, they are a challenge... not suggested for the beginner!!

The purpose to get these guys out into the aquarium, is too breed successfully. One of the many reasons this is important apparently now I have never been to Indonesia or claim this for a fact, but there are many reports to state that these particular lakes are at serious risk!!

They are developing this area, with a Nickle mine, and as well as a Dam.. without responsible husbandry in the aquairum industry these lakes and many more species will be lost.

Either we don't try and let industries destroy their natural habitat which sitting in our living rooms isn't going to do much, but if you have interest and take all recommended thus far instructions on the care and raising of this beautiful shrimp so one day our children's children will be able to still see them in the wild and in aquarium.

It would certainly be ideal if we leave nature where it belongs, but with growth of industries the demands on natural resources these beautiful landscapes are going to be extinct. Yes we could all petition the Indonesian government to restrict over fishing these lakes, but they are also aware that these fish are also a form of income for many in that country right or wrong its a fact of life for many of them.

In Canada we are fortunate enough that we have a Large span of land, we can pick and choose freely the land we develop to the land we do not... we are able to govern protected lands.

Indonesia is not a large country, with limited resources.. I don't like it, but I understand it. They do have many laws to protect over fishing, and they want to have this new resource utilized so that if any damage does happen to this lake and its inhabitants die off. The will be able to replace the population with breeders around the world at any given time, this certainly is a better solution then ignoring it and trying to fight something we can't fight.

The delimma here is good/bad its positives and negatives both sides of the arguement are right!

Where do we fit in??? Well if we are offered the opportunity to do some good I will take it, I do hope and believe strongly that the Indonesians will not tolerate over fishing this lake and will put stiff laws in place (including DEATH to poachers as they have with the Betta macrostoma

This fish, if a person is caught taken from the wild will be sentenced to death no word of a lie)!! All Betta macrostoma

are tank raised, if you do get a true Wild pair, you can bet that person who got it for you risked his or her very life! I know if I am to obtain them my goal is to breed and raise them sell to people who truely can try to husbandry and produce offspring so that this lake and its inhabitants can live as long as they can peacefully in their native lakes. Hopefully, they will be protected and no harm will come to them.

The fact that here in Alberta (i know omg) we do have the best water PH naturally to raise them.

I have been reading alot researching alot, I have come to the conclusion that the high mortality rate is due to people not wanting to listen to the instructions

THEY REQUIRE higher ph 8.2 - 8.3 period but as true humans we are people are still trying to raise them in ph of 6.8 - 7.8 which is not what they require!!

They are also not paying attention to the water temps!

Each time, these shrimp die off within a week... and the only supplier that had them in North America did not follow these instructions! He failed miserbly and was even warned of this impending doom! He ignored advice!

Anyways there was my speech sorry long winded !!

Slough sounds like a plan... I will make sure you have a pair if I get this order!!! Still need to iron out details! :thumbs:

it was the other onesMacrostoma , Big Al's brought in a pair and were selling them at 300 a pair i believe a few months back.

those ones grow to 5.5" I used to visit with them often drooling on the tank.. I was too afraid to even try to purchase them.

The Channoides are the smaller species which grow to 2" and can be kept in groups... mouth brooder as well, they have the same general look to them and spawn smiliar to a splenden doing the dance wrap around etc.. but instead of the bubble nest the Male keeps the the eggs in the mouth. I would try with these guys first before making the move to the much larger Macrostoma.

Very unique!!

IF anyone is interested in the Macrostoma I can TRY to bring in, don't know their availablity or if they will fit into my shipment box but I can certainly look into it.

Of course they are VERY expensive!

I've found the channoides quite easy to keep, and they have spawned quite regularly for me. The fry have proven to be a little more difficult to raise, but I know that part of the reason is that I haven't been as diligent with hatching out baby brine shrimp for them. Currently from my original pair I have a 3/4 grown female and about five 1 cm fry. The fry are in a separate tank (the parents will eat the babies if they get hungry enough), but the sub-adult female is in with the original pair. Just a word or caution, neither the adults or the fry will take any flake or pellet type food. Mine eat nothing but frozen blood worms and brine shrimp. I haven't tried freeze dried blood worms because I'm highly allergic to the dust associated with them, but they might be worth a try.

Anyway, I would highly recommend these fish to anyone who likes something a little different (and the $30/pair price tag is a whole lot cheaper than I got mine for :cry: ... :D ). Here's the link for the pics I posted of mine on the forum some time ago:

http://AlbertaAquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=18313

DJay

be carefull with planet inverts, check bcaquaria thread on them. verry high shipping casulty rate too. would be VERRY cool to try em out anyways

Hey All many members out here in BC have purchased these shrimp, as Rocker said there is an extremely High Shipping Casulty Rate, I follow shrimp and have done so for some time, they have not been proven to breed in Captivity that well , I know of only 2 breeders that have had any sucess , with exception to newly purchased onces coming already Berried

Hope this helps. Also look at the water Requirements and you will more then likely change your mind.

Cheers

24/7