Ruby Green

patrick

You have some very lovely fish, I love the shot of the female .... how do you "strip" them?

I put the female in a bucket of water and then carefully hold her in my hand and use a toothpick to open her mouth to let the fry out in the bucket. It can be a bit tricky if the female is small. Sometimes I put the female in a seperate tank and let her spit when she is ready, depending on the availability of free tanks. I always do this with any new species to keep a record of how long they will hold if not stripped.

Gorgeous fish and pictures as always patrick :) I know someone who uses a hair color applicator bottle to strip his fish. He holds them in his hand, then squirts the water into their mouths while holding it open the the applicator tip, the fry just come pouring out. Of course that won't work for smaller fish. And the bottle he bought from a hair salon, never used of course lol.

Gorgeous fish and pictures as always patrick :) I know someone who uses a hair color applicator bottle to strip his fish. He holds them in his hand, then squirts the water into their mouths while holding it open the the applicator tip, the fry just come pouring out. Of course that won't work for smaller fish. And the bottle he bought from a hair salon, never used of course lol.

Thanks, I might try something like that. I just stripped a female and there was 1-2 fry that just would not come out.... :grr:

How do you know when to strip them? Thats pretty kewl... would I be able to keep Molly fry and Cichlid fry together? just a thought that just jumped in my head,

Most Victoria cichlids hold their fry between 15-20 days. Once I know the holding time for a certain species I usually strip the female a couple of days before she is due.

You can probably keep molly fry and cichlid fry together.

Edited by patrick

How do you know when to strip them? Thats pretty kewl... would I be able to keep Molly fry and Cichlid fry together? just a thought that just jumped in my head,

Most Victoria cichlids hold their fry between 15-20 days. Once I know the holding time for a certain species I usually strip the female a couple of days before she is due.

You can probably keep molly fry and cichlid fry together.

Oh okay thats neat information! awesome, now I dont need to buy another tank, my husband about died when I came home with another bird cage, and spent over $400 at the pet store...eeeks!!