BIO BALLS (LOVE EM OR HATE EM )

boomerbob

Just want to know what everyone thinks of the good ol bio balls ( the little blue wonders )

seems every fish store uses them , some people say they are

junk (dangerous in the long run ) some say they are great .

lets hear what you all think just for the heck of it .

• 1 month later...
I have never tried them either. For all of my tanks I use the ceramic bio media. Does it make a difference whether it is used in SW or FW? It depends on the material they are made out of whether or not I would ever use them.

So, are you saying ceramic media is better?

I have balls in my FW tank and don't know enough to develop an opinion yet.

I have an Oceanic 175 gal. overflow type tank and I filled the outflow side with balls

thinking it would add to the bio filtering.

Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Thankx

Rick

There's a school of thought out there that says they're only really effective in a wet/dry system. They can be handy in a FW system, but there are other media out there that have WAY MORE surface area for bacterial to culter, and also cost WAY LESS (plastic pot scrubbies, 6 for $1!). In SW, most people us LR because it has WAY MORE surface area, and usually has other benefits (cool critters, coraline/macro algae, etc).

I've often wondered about buying things like the cheap scrubbies for freshwater setups in the past but I have always wondered just how tank friendly they are, mainly concerned about something toxic leaching from the plastics into the water. Has anyone had any bad experiences with using something like this?

Brendan

I've often wondered about buying things like the cheap scrubbies for freshwater setups in the past but I have always wondered just how tank friendly they are, mainly concerned about something toxic leaching from the plastics into the water. Has anyone had any bad experiences with using something like this?

Brendan

I've been using them for about 8 months in canisters and sumps with no problems at all. I got the idea from some DIYers on MonsterFishKeepers who've been using them for years.

• 1 month later...