Different pond filter

The skippy filter seems to be fairly well liked by many pond keepers as an easy DIY filter.

I've yet to find a better resource for all kinds of pond DIY's than Koiphen, and always find myself going back to it just to read and see what's out there, and think of how any of them could be modified for large tank use.

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63850

• 11 months later...

I've been debating on which type of filter to run in my pond, so I fired these guys an e-mail about their bio-filter. They said a skimmer isn't needed, but if you want one get one, it's your decision and your pond. Also, they said bio balls are useless (I already knew that) as are UV sterilizers because killing algae with an ultra violet light also kills the beneficial bacteria. I'm going to give one of these bio-filters a try. Anyone know where to get a 100gal stock tank in Alberta?

These guys are quite adamant about using Rubbermaid tanks not because they're dealers but because the Rubbermaids with their rounded corners create a swirling action. They have tried others but nothing else worked. UFA doesn't sell Rubbermaids, they sell UFA brand, Peavy Mart doesn't deal with Rubbermaids anymore. Acklands can get them but it will take 2 or 3 weeks to come in and they didn't give me a price. CO-OP has them for $159.99. Just curious if anyone doesn't mind me asking what others have paid for them?

Can you go bigger than a 100 gals. I have two plastic stock tanks . One is about 6 feet and the other 8 or ten feet. Both are about 3 feet high and have rounded corners.

The smaller one is black and the bigger one is white. The black one has a drain on the side at the bottom. Can not remember if the white has a drain, but thinking it does not.

If you can use them, I will let you have what ever one for $125.00