Fishless Cycling

Okay as you all know I had a bit of a burp with my tanks, so now I have a new tank set up - NO FISH in it....haha,

Anyway, I have started the fishless cycle, but I just wanted to clarify the steps for myself.

I have been adding ammonia for three days, today I finally reached the 4.0+ ppm of ammonia, Nitrites are 0ppm I have not tested for the nitrates thus far. Once I am at this level for a few days, when will the nitrites start to develope?

When do I start putting in the strategy and how big of a water change should I do before adding fish?

I am also wondering if I should just throw in a sponge for the nitrites etc to grow, right now there is only a couple plastic plants and gravel.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Lana :unsure:

Okay as you all know I had a bit of a burp with my tanks, so now I have a new tank set up - NO FISH in it....haha,

Anyway, I have started the fishless cycle, but I just wanted to clarify the steps for myself.

I have been adding ammonia for three days, today I finally reached the 4.0+ ppm of ammonia, Nitrites are 0ppm I have not tested for the nitrates thus far. Once I am at this level for a few days, when will the nitrites start to develope?

When do I start putting in the strategy and how big of a water change should I do before adding fish?

I am also wondering if I should just throw in a sponge for the nitrites etc to grow, right now there is only a couple plastic plants and gravel.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Lana :unsure:

Ooops word error, I mean stability not strategy....ummm... silly me.

Lana :rolleyes:

OKay I also read on the previous fishless cycling that someone used the septo bac, from wal-mart. I did buy some and now it is sitting in my window sil so hopefully it is growing a bunch of bacteria... I will have to read it again... because I screwed up and completely cleaned out my filter in the one tank and my other tank is blooming I don't have a good tank filter to use... so I am trying to do it right with this third tank... third time is a charm so they say...haha

Lana

2. Cycling using ammonia:

1. Introduce pure ammonia to cycle the aquarium. You can buy unscented ammonia with no additives from a supermarket or a bottle of ammonium chloride.

2. Add ammonia from a dropper, 3 - 5 drops per 10 gallons of water per day to get and maintain a reading of 5 ppm.

3. Initially there will be no nitrites. Monitor nitrites daily and continue the daily ammonia dose until you get a nitrite reading. At this point you can reduce the daily amount of ammonia to 2 - 3 drops per 10 gallons. Continue this until both the ammonia test and the nitrite test reads 0 ppm.

4. This method can take as little as three weeks or up to six weeks to complete the nitrification cycle, but adding a starter culture as described above can speed the time up considerably.

5. When the cycle is complete reduce the temperature slowly back to 74° to 80° F(26° - 28° C). Reducing it quickly can stress the bacteria.

6. Do a major water change, about 90%, and add activated carbon to remove any possible additives which might have been in the ammonia.

This is the method I am starting however it is unclear when to add the septo bac. Currently nitrite is at 0ppm so I am guessing I have to wait until the nitrites reg. onto the test kit, then add the septo bac, once everything is back to 0ppm then I complete a 90% water change and add activated carbon to the filtration system... does this sound correct?

Lana

The septobac can be added right away. I'd just put it into a bowl and cover with water from the tank, let it sit a few minutes then strain out the liquid. Add the liquid only to the tank. Toss away the rest.

The septobac can be added right away. I'd just put it into a bowl and cover with water from the tank, let it sit a few minutes then strain out the liquid. Add the liquid only to the tank. Toss away the rest.

How long should I let it sit for?

I think it has been sitting for about a half hour now....

Lana

you take 1 pack of Septo-Bac, mix it into a few gallons of water, stir it up & let it 'grow' overnight. Then strain over cheese cloth, and 1 cup will provide enough bacteria for a 50 gallon tank. As long as there's an ammonia source to feed

you take 1 pack of Septo-Bac, mix it into a few gallons of water, stir it up & let it 'grow' overnight. Then strain over cheese cloth, and 1 cup will provide enough bacteria for a 50 gallon tank. As long as there's an ammonia source to feed

OH shoot I better add more water, I just put it in a cup...eeek... good thing you posted!!!

I have good ammonia growth sitting at about 5-6ppm, so I will add it tomorrow when I add my dose of ammonia. hopefully it will do it's thing...

Lana