Patio pond information

likwid

If you are wanting to put fish in your patio pond check out this thread. Lots of suggestions there.

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=19361

Is your pond in a sunny location? Maybe try filling with water and see what temperatures you get over a course of a number of days. How great a temperature swing is there? A 35 gallon patio tank is going to have much wider temperature fluctuations than an in ground tank.

Unless you are prepared to build an outside pond 500 gallons + next year, do not get koi. Of the fish on the thread, the hardiest is probably Comet or Sarassa goldfish. They come in some beautiful colors from Red & White to golds. They usually max out at under 10 inches.

Good luck with your pond!

Thanks for the link. I don't know exact water temperatures, but I do know that it does get nice and warm during the day, and fairly cool at night, since the overnight lows are around 10 degrees. Would it be alright to add a few goldfish, or is it too late in the season to start this now?

If you are wanting to put fish in your patio pond check out this thread. Lots of suggestions there.

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=19361

Is your pond in a sunny location? Maybe try filling with water and see what temperatures you get over a course of a number of days. How great a temperature swing is there? A 35 gallon patio tank is going to have much wider temperature fluctuations than an in ground tank.

Unless you are prepared to build an outside pond 500 gallons + next year, do not get koi. Of the fish on the thread, the hardiest is probably Comet or Sarassa goldfish. They come in some beautiful colors from Red & White to golds. They usually max out at under 10 inches.

Good luck with your pond!

Thanks for the link. I don't know exact water temperatures, but I do know that it does get nice and warm during the day, and fairly cool at night, since the overnight lows are around 10 degrees. Would it be alright to add a few goldfish, or is it too late in the season to start this now?

You could start now. You would have up to 6 weeks with them outside, depending how our summer/fall goes.

I agree with Gobies et al, that your best option is probably goldfish, as temperature swings in a small above ground pond are greater than in-ground ponds, and other species may not be hardy enough. However, you could possibly try paradise fish. The paradise fish don't get as big, so you wouldn't need as big a tank to overwinter them in, which might be something to consider. By "a few" goldfish, how many are you thinking? I wouldn't add more than one or two small ones. I like to keep my pond understocked. There's less maintenance, and I don't have to feed them that way (there are enough bugs that they get really nice and fat over the summer).

Just to update you guys. I put in 4 small goldfish a few days ago, and they are doing great. They are really active, and come up to the surface easily when there are flakes of food up there. I also put a cup at the bottom of the pond that they like to go inside and play around in, very cute.

What size tank would be sufficient enough to over-winter these guys in?

Just to update you guys. I put in 4 small goldfish a few days ago, and they are doing great. They are really active, and come up to the surface easily when there are flakes of food up there. I also put a cup at the bottom of the pond that they like to go inside and play around in, very cute.

What size tank would be sufficient enough to over-winter these guys in?

How about just moving your patio pond indoors?

You could probably get away w. just a 3' tank to overwinter them this year... they may need something bigger next year - including a bigger pond!! :w00t: