Purchasing Plants - for the beginner

Lana Bollers

I have done a bit of research on plants and what will withstand the torture of cichlids. I have come up with two plants that I think will benefit my tank.

1. Anubia Barteri Nana

2. Hygrophila Corymbosa

With these two plants do I need anything special? my substraight is sand.

I was also thinking I should pot them to help protect their root systems although I believe I read I could just tie the nana to the drift would and it would ancher itself there...

Now as I am going to be purchasing new plants, how do I treat them to ensure that they do not bring disease into my tanks?

Such as Ich or velvet or other diseases that could cause me much grief and stress...

Lana

Easy , buy them from reputable dealers such as our sponsors (NCS). Gillian can advise you as to plants that would be best for your situation. The only plants I have with mine are the plastic variety lol. Even so they still get nibbled lol.

I have done a bit of research on plants and what will withstand the torture of cichlids. I have come up with two plants that I think will benefit my tank.

1. Anubia Barteri Nana

2. Hygrophila Corymbosa

With these two plants do I need anything special? my substraight is sand.

I was also thinking I should pot them to help protect their root systems although I believe I read I could just tie the nana to the drift would and it would ancher itself there...

Now as I am going to be purchasing new plants, how do I treat them to ensure that they do not bring disease into my tanks?

Such as Ich or velvet or other diseases that could cause me much grief and stress...

Lana

Anubia barteri nana is a small plant, you might be better off with one of the other Anubia barteri varieties. As you have read, do not pot the Anubias or the roots will rot. The roots are for securing to a location not for nutrient uptake.

To avoid bringing disease into the tank, buy from a supplier that does not keep fish in with the plants for sale.

I don't have experience with cichlids but most fish don't nibble on Java Fern.

I can not drive to the south side today I have to be quick so only stopping quickly on the north side... we had a guppy that had babies too, sure hope they last while we are gone...

I am trying to find brine shrimp I can hatch so they can eat them while we are away and they wont cause havok with my tank. Also looking for microworms too.

I will look into the java fern...

Thank you for your help I will hopefully come home with something tonight.

Lana

Nothing special for either plant. Anubia can be planted in the sand, but only the roots (they'll get there eventually anyway) as teh stem will rot if burried. Hygro species are quite prolific and easy to care for - if you buy them from a store, take them out of the bunch and plant the stems individually.

Bringing diseases into the tank is not usually a problem with a healthy system; however, if your fishes' immune system is under a lot of pressure, even sterilized plants may pose a risk.

HTH

I don't suggest burying the anubias roots at all. I had mine rot this way, and have learned from my mistakes. I say it would do much better being tied to some driftwood. Gobies is right, the nana is such a small version of anubias, I would go for one that gets bigger. Same things go with java ferns, tie them to some driftwood, since their roots will also rot if placed in the sand.

Edited by firestorm

I have had Anubias of 5 different species - all of them are root-feeders. If tied to driftwood (which makes them easy to trim and care for), they always send their roots into the substrate; however, if the stem (rhizome) is every burried, it begins to rot quite quick. One of the best stores to get good advice on plants is Natures Corner Store in Edmonton (MHO, of course).

I probably stuck mine a little too deep then. I read other articles to tie them near the base of some driftwood. I guess it will still allow the roots to grow into the substrate. I was an idiot and got things before researching them a year ago. Ive learned from my mistakes. My java ferns stood up to some africans quite well. But I would not recommend it for all.