Gorgeous NA Native Fishes

Slough Shark

I was doing some poking around on the internet and found this page with some beautiful pictures of fish found in North America. I'd say some of these are more spectacular than alot of tropical fish!!

http://www.epa.gov/bioiweb1/html/photos_fi...er_perches.html

Alberta's own Iowa Darter (Etheostoma exile) in't there, but it can be beautiful too during spawning. I suggest a google serch for it and other fishes on that page that you think look great. The Etheostoma zonale is ridiculous!!

Have to agree that zonale is spectacular unfortunately I think most darters only color up for a few weeks during breeding season---- I caught some 1.5 inch Goldeye in my seine net once they were a good looking little fish if I get the opportunity again they might accidentally follow me home

When I think of perch I think YUMMY!!!

Now those other guys are just weird looking can honestly say I don't recall seeing a fish shaped like that before.

I remember once as a kid my dad or someone brought home a cat fish, us kids took it to the creek and let it go. Dad just brought it home to show us. The creek led to the athabasca river...

We lived in town of Athabasca as kids...

I think I saw a golden eye once a few years back, but you know I think the rainbow trout are rather nice looking too...

Lana

The catfish your dad brought home was a Burbot (Lota lota) I imagine, they are definitely cool and a good substitute for our unfortunate lack of catfishes.

I was very young, under the age of six, I remember it was black or very dark brown and had whiskers... and it was slimy and when we put it in the creek it just sat there for a few minutes that swam away... I don't recall how big it was, but when I was that small it looked huge...haha

Lana

The only Darter in Alberta is the Iowa Darter and they are widespread across the province. We have them at Pigeon lake, but I am sure they are in closer places as well.

If you are going looking for them, you'll need a large aquarium net or a butterfly net. Then you just have to flip stones over until you see a small fish dart out. They really can't be mistaken for anything else since their darting movements aren't like any other small fish.

And you should see quite a diversity of species when you go about flipping stones (more so in rivers than in lakes).

:drool: I cannot believe we have such beautiful looking fish in north america. I love the zanole, I have never seen green on a fish like that before. Where are the zanole located? What kind of other fish would all of those be compatible with? Cool guys, wish you luck on catching some :)

The Etheostoma zonale are found in the West-Central U.S.

Some darters are compatible with anything that is peacefull. Others live in streams and rivers, so they need high O2 content and flow rate in the tank. I think E. zonale is found in streams but it may be a generalist species that lives in lakes, ponds, etc. as well.

Id be careful with some of these. I know that yellow perch are illegal to transport. Now if you are wanting to take some native fish talk with Fish and wildlife. Now someone said something about rainbow trout. YOU need an licence to keep them. It only costs 10 bucks a year and an extra 42 bucks for the application fee.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/general/progse...f/all/pgmsrv112

That website talks about water bodies. Do you think this includes aquariums? I kind of doubt it. I was told the only way to keep native fishes in an aquarium setting was to get a research permit, for which you need to support reasons for your "research".

Sounded like a bit of a hassle to me.

You maybe right about the research permit, in the past ive had trout in a aquarium and from talking with the trout farms to keep trout for a recreation activity you need to have a licence. But it doesnt hurt to give them a call right and 10 bucks for a piece of paper then say 1000 buck fine is a whole lot better in my books