Neochromis omnicaeruleus, Muhuru

patrick

I took 6 month to get these guys to spawn. Unfortunately no pictures of the actual spawn this time as the male had dug out a pit in the sand at the rear corner of the tank, partly behind a rock. The adult Lithochromis rufus male that also inhabits this tank turned out to be a real party crasher and probably robbed a third of the eggs... :cuss: I was thinking fish burger for supper.

Neochromis omnicaeruleus is a rock dwelling (Mbipi) cichlid from Lake Victoria and comes in many different morphs. Mine are from Muhuru Bay on the east side of the Lake. The females are OB and it's hard to get a good picture that captures the amber orange color.

Here are a couple of pictures of the male flaring. He is between 3 and 4 inches, and will reach max size at about 5 inches.

omnicaeruleus0010-750@.jpg

omnicaeruleus0011-750@.jpg

Picture of a female.

omnicaeruleus0009-750.jpg

Beautiful fish, I have a couple Victorians All Reds It took about 4 months before mine spanwned and I lost all 40 babys when she spit out all the eggs. about 3 months later they spanwed again, managed to save about 20 of her babies yesturday. I find these guys hard to spawn on the female side of things the female is never ready, and is not a very good mother. Do Victorians go long intervals between spawns?

Beautiful fish, I have a couple Victorians All Reds It took about 4 months before mine spanwned and I lost all 40 babys when she spit out all the eggs. about 3 months later they spanwed again, managed to save about 20 of her babies yesturday. I find these guys hard to spawn on the female side of things the female is never ready, and is not a very good mother. Do Victorians go long intervals between spawns?

In general 2-3 months in between spawns, with exceptions. Sometimes it can take a long time before the first spawn. The females are usually very good parents but it depends on the environment and the tanks mates. Do you know the scientific namn of the species, or a picture? There are several species that goes under the name "all red".

Edited by patrick

I will try to get some photos to you in the future, It would be nice to have another opinion on species, I bought them from a family and they didnt know for sure. I think that they are flamebacks from lake george or Kyoga Flameback from Lake Kanyaboli.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
That second pic is pretty phenomenal Patrick. Gotta love it when you get near-perfect shot like that! (I must admit, these cichlids are proving to be a lot harder to photograph than any other fish I have tried).

Thanks Taylor. He was curious about the camera :) The depth of field gets very short on close ups like that.