here we go!

robin

Okay, all these pictures of planted tanks, and the few that I have seen are driving me crazy. I now look at my tank and dream of real plants!!! They look so lovely. Where do I start? I have 4 young children that could destoy Nature's Corner Store in a very short period of time, so I need to learn lots of stuff before I go in there!

Lights?

My tank is deeper than normal ones, is this okay?

What fish can I NOT have with plants?

How much $$$ are the lights needed?

Oh boy! Where do we start.... First, read this website a few times: www.rexgrigg.com

That should cover the basics. There's really no point in investing the time and money in plants if you aren't going to do it properly from the start.

I would start my first planted tank with a low-maintenance set up. For low maintenance you want low light, low bioload, and a lot of low light plants.

For light, you'll want to follow the 2 watt-per-gallon rule. The colour output of the light is important and you want something in the 5000K to 10000K range, preferably 6700K. Most good aquarium stores carry quality lighting options. You can make you lighting solution as cheap or expensive as you like. I have spent anywhere from $20 on lighting for a 20gallon tank (built my own hood and retrofitted it with ballasts) up to $150 to light my 33gallon tank. Most of the aquarium store lighting options start at about $75.... Obviously the bigger the tank the more light you'll need (again, follow the 2-watt-per-gallon rule).... You'll need to the replace the bulbs yearly at a cost of about $20 per bulb.

I suggest using a planted tank substrate such as eco-complete or flourite, but that's not entire necessary. If you don't use these substrates, you'll need to add fertilizer tabs or sticks under the gravel. You'll want at least 2 inches of gravel.

Buy yourself some good macro an micro fertilizers to add to the water column. If you have a big tank, I would look into buying dry ferts. If you have a small tank, with little light and no CO2 you should be able to get away with some liquid ferts. Invest in potassium, iron, and a comprehensive micro nutrient fertilizer. Most of the N and P will be delivered to the tank via its occupants (assuming no CO2). You can dose Excel as a carbon (Co2) source or set up a DIY canister system (see above website for more on this). If you have CO2, you may have to add ore fertilizer. I would highly recommend some CO2/carbon source for your tank. It might take some experimenting to figure that out.

I've never had any problems with the tank occupants I've owned. But I understand and African cichlids will up root your plants. Discus, rams, plecos, oto cats, corys, tetras, danios, shrimp, minnows, gouramis, bettas, etc, etc, have all been fine in my planted tanks.

Good low light plants are java fern, java moss, and anubias. I imagine you could grow hyrgo, cabomba, and hornwort (I'm missing others, but hey it's the end of the day. Google low light aquarium plants for more info.

Hope this helps.

Now, it all depends what you want: just a few plants in a fish tank is easy as long as you have 1 or 2 watts of light per gal.

However, if you want a few fish in a fully planted tank, then it's a little more complicated and expensive. You'll need a lot more light (especially if it's a deep tank), possibly a pressurized CO2 system, etc. etc.

Have a read of this site: Beginner Basics

If you're going to do a PLANTED tank - not just a tank w. plants - I do recommend adding a carbon source (CO2 or Excel) for even a low-light tank. It will help keep algae at bay.

Lighting doesn't have to be expensive. My 135 planted tank only has 3 T-12 twin-strip lights on it. The pygmy chain sword doesn't seem to mind that it's not expensive lighting (lights + fixtures cost less than $75 total).

Okay......planted vs tank with plants.....I love the look with lots of plants and fish peeking out of them!!...well, some open water would probably be nice also.

As for dimentions.....

Length - 3 ft

Width - 1 ft

Height - 2 ft

45 gallon

I still have to read the website I was directed to, then I'll post back for any questions.

The best way to have success off the start for a planted tank is to plant 80% of the tank footprint. I love pressurised CO2 and highly recommend it, but if it's not in the budget, start w. DIY and suppliment with Excel. You don't need expensive lighting, but if you do want to grow carpet plants (1-2" tall) you will want T5 or MH lighting.

Have plants, have fun!:thumbs:

For lighting I would go drop $100 on the Hagen Glo T5HO 2x24W light system. That should be sufficient light for your tank (and for starting out in this hobby).

"The best way to have success off the start for a planted tank is to plant 80% of the tank footprint."

This is true, but most of those plants should be FAST growing STEM plants (hygro, wisteria, etc.) - don't start out with 80% anubias!