Sam bit off more than he can chew?

Iggyfish

One of my 4" baby oscars (Sam) just decided to try and eat my one of my full grown Cory cats!

The bloody Cory cat tail is still sticking out of his mouth! I never dreamed it could fit inside his mouth, but Sam proved me wrong.

Needless to say, all the other cory cats are gone from the tank, Sam is now alone with his brother (Sid).

I am a little worried, I sure hope Sam can digest a thick-scaled Cory?

Is there anything I can do?

Do I try to remove it (ie: pull it out).. which I don't think is a great idea because the cory is in there head-first and might be pretty stuck and I don't want to damage Sam by forcing it out.

Should I cut the excess tail part off?

I am pretty upset about this, I should have trusted my instincts and never mixed them in the first place.

Take some needlenose pliers and pry it out. It may be painful for him, however if you don't he probably won't make it at all. Corys will not digest as due to the barbles on the sides of their mouth it is most likely lodged inside and will not come out. That is where it gets dangerous with any kinds of cats/loaches and oscars. Some times they bite off more then they can chew.

Sorry to hear about it, but I am sure he will make it.

I had this happen with a Jack Dempsey. He swam around for two days with the back half of the cory sticking out of his mouth. Couldn't swallow it or spit it out. He would swim up to the glass and just look at me like he was begging for help. Finally I netted him and worked the cory back out with a tweasers. When it came out, the cory dropped back in the tank it swam away! The dempsey swam around for a couple of hours with his mouth stuck wide open, and finally was back to normal the next day. He never tried to eat another cory after that!

Good news and bad news.

The good news is Sam managed to spit out the cory body.

The bad news is that Sid (his brother) then promptly ate the cory body.

Luckily, Sid spit it out and I was able to throw the body away.

Now, Sid is fine, but Sam looks like he damaged his mouth a little. It looks a little stretched and it is staying partially open (or he cannot close it). Sam shakes himself back and forth now and then, so something must still be stuck in his mouth.

Hopefully he can get it out himself and his mouth will heal-up.