Hi There

roypark05

Hey everyone, I'm moving to Edmonton from Halifax in just over a week from now. I have 3 aquariums that I am taking with me, and I plan on setting them up shortly after making it out to Edmonton. I've been in the hobby for awhile now, I have several videos and a group on youtube:

Previous Set-up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxhhqgxhWWQ

Jaguar and OB Zebra:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zfH9R7cm5A

Convict and Jewel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkfjA2oUlXk

My Group:

http://www.youtube.com/group/cichlidwars

Anyway, just wanted to say hi. I just recently signed up on this forum here and I was wondering when I will be able to post on the for sale boards. Also, what are the good stores in Edmonton for cichlids?

Thanks,

Roy

:welcome: To AA Roy!

The best place to buy cichlids is right here! The prices are awesome and the quality second to non!

That is my opinion any way... I have been to a couple of the pet store's and most of the fish/aquarium store's seem to specialize in salt water. I have not been to big Al's though, but have heard some good things about it.

The plants at Nature's corner are AWESOME!!!

Welcome to Alberta too...

You missed the heat wave.... you lucky guy you....

Lana

... I was wondering when I will be able to post on the for sale boards. Also, what are the good stores in Edmonton for cichlids?

:welcome: Roy,

I can't remember exactly but I think you have to make a post contribution before gaining access to B&S...I also thought there was a list of LFS but aparently I can't find that now either, sorry I'm of no help 2day but hopefully someone will point them out.

What part of town are you moving to?

Brian.

Welcome to AA, its a great little group, soon as you contribute so many posts you gain access to the buy sell portion of the group, I have gone to a few stores, and so far the one I like the best is Big Al's, Ive not been to Natures Corner, heard they dont have alot of fish, but have awesome supplies, there are alot of folks right here on this list that have fish for sale, seems like alot of folks on the list have bought from Fairdeal, I myself included, he has awesome fish...another fella I bought from on here, I dont know his name on the boards but he had some awesome petricola and electric yellows.

I have also gone to pet stores and ordered fish in, as sometimes we have to do...

Ive not been to Natures Corner, heard they dont have alot of fish, but have awesome supplies

Henry's selection varies by the season. Nature's Corner may not have the largest selection but they have some of the healthiest stock. Some of my best fish came from Nature's Corner. Not only are they good for supplies/food, but they are one of the best for aquarium plants, ponds, bird watching supplies, etc. IMO, Henry's and Gillian's knowledge & helpfulness are second to none. If you haven't gone to visit them, you really should. You won't regret it.

Remember to let them know you are an AA member.

Edited by FrogFan23

Thanks for the replies everyone!

When I get to Edmonton (south with some friends at first although I think I'll be looking for my own place in the west end later on) I am planning on setting up my tanks and I am looking for a Jewel Cichlid and my GF wants a Green Terror. Jewels are usually common, but I am picky with the Jewels I'll buy...if you get a good one they can be the best fish.

I am moving to Edmonton because I have a job at the E.L. Smith Water Treatment Plant starting early September.

For the record, despite my promoting cichlid fights, I don't want to come across as someone who doesn't care for their cichlids. In Lake Malawi, Tanganiyka, etc the fish spar with each other and battle for dominance and territory. In the tanks I set up, there is some of the same sparring that occurs. If one fish is getting picked on too bad I'll change things up to ensure they don't get hurt.

Edited by roypark05

:welcome: Welcome to Alberta Aquatica!

We are a very diverse group of people who all have different opinions about how to keep fish, but the one thing we all have in common is that our fish fascinate us and we want what is best for them as I know you do.

Please feel very welcome and I look forward to seeing pictures of your tanks and fish and hearing your opinions (and maybe agreeing or disagreeing with them - that's the fun part :smokey:.)