diy filters

Kipp_14

I am wanted to make my own filter that would work for a 180 gallon tank. I don't know much of anything about where to start and I am wondering if anyone can give me some ideas or some plans that might give me a better idea of what this task will intale. Thanks.

I am wanted to make my own filter that would work for a 180 gallon tank. I don't know much of anything about where to start and I am wondering if anyone can give me some ideas or some plans that might give me a better idea of what this task will intale. Thanks.

Is the tank drilled?

I don't even have the tank yet still looking for a used one I can afford, but I thought I would get started on the other things I will need for it.

Ya, I see why that is smart, but things can change depending on the tank you find. Make sure you aren't committing yourself to anything in particular until you have the tank bought and in place... (Don't ask why I suggest this :wacko: )

I think the cheapest way to do a filter is to do a sump or a wet dry filter. It will take up more space though and you pretty much need a tank that has an overflow and drilled for your drain and usually returns as well. (OK, you don't NEED it to be drilled, but 99% of tanks that I have seen that use a sump have built in overflows and drains.) You can do a siphon setup, but IMO that is asking for trouble.

I love my canister (Fluval 403) but I am hoping my new sump will allow me to boost up my bio media and allow me to do more with it.