keeping discus

TONKA BEAR

Yeah I would maybe stick with 3-4 angels at most, danios do not prefer warmer water, I would also try to find new homes for any bottom feeders other than the cories, rainbows are big eaters.

I would not always trust the advice from Franco's, his son told us the reason some of his prettier fish were more expensive was just that, because they are prettier. It kind of turned me off of it, although they sometimes have some really nice fish. I do however trust any advice Dennis from Gold's gives, he has saved my A$$ a few times. Some tanks like mbuna, are good to be well stocked, but with discus it is almost opposite. Discus can be very sensitive to poor water quality, and with an overstocked tank it will just make things build up all the more quickly.

I filter my 90 gallon discus tank with an eheim 2260 which is suitable for tanks up to 230 gallons. I would suggest going with a bigger canister, maybe an XP4 or 2, and try a HOB or something with it.

Discus have small stomachs, which make them hungry sooner than many fish, so having a bit of extra food on the bottom is not necessarily a bad thing with them because they will pick at the bottom for food within a pretty short time after you feed them......and with their size they are now it is extremely important for them to have that resource, they will need all the food they can to grow properly (otherwise they will be football shaped instead of round). I would definitely try feeding them 5 times a day until they get about 4" then you can cut back to about 4. They will also need lot's of fat and protein when growing, so try to choose foods especially high in protein.

Looks like you are on your way, good luck with everything and I wish you the best :) Thanks Kevin, your advice and many others have given me an opportunity to learn as much as I can.

Edited by firestorm

Tonka Bear good luck, you are getting very good advice.

I just wanted to say that I am very impressed by the feedback that you are getting. It is nice to see that the people that I tried to help with discus advice are now succesful and able to help others. Once you get discus requirements down, they become as easy to keep as any other fish, only much more rewarding.

Kevin

i absoutley agree and thanks again of to buy a better filter any recomdations on filters??

i absoutley agree and thanks again of to buy a better filter any recomdations on filters??

I sugest an xp3 to go with your xp2 as a good start. I have had good service from my Rena canister filters and absolutely no issues with them.

I sugest an xp3 to go with your xp2 as a good start. I have had good service from my Rena canister filters and absolutely no issues with them.

That's what I would add :rolleyes:

J

That's what I would add :rolleyes:

J

I disagree - although I now run an FX5 on my big (120 gallon) discus tank, I am a much bigger fan of using HOBs (AC110s) with 2 foam pads. Every week you can clean the lower pad (where the food sits) and shift down the top pad - thus maintaining good bacteria population levels. This is a 3 minute job and keeps the accumulated waste levels low in the filter. I find it a real pain to rip down my cannister filter once a month to clean it out.

Putting clean water through a dirty filter - gives you dirty water - just a thought.

Kevin

That is an interesting concept Kevin, I also like the aquaclears because they will produce lot's of oxygen flow into the tank, whereas canisters just don't have the same ability. An AC 110 would be a great addition.....and for only around $100. Or you can add both an extra xp3 and AC 110 ^_^

That is why I also use two 55 gallon sponges and a magnum HOTfilter.