Dyed Discus...

Oxquo

The World of fishkeeping just got a little bit sicker. Who'd ever thought that it would reach this height??? Here is a photo of my great suprise and so far no one takes responsibility for it. Also maybe a time to ask yourself, why it is better to pay the price from a retailler like Gold's or D.A.D.'s fishroom for quality. Below are what should be some disturbing pics of my 5 day discus which was to be a blue neon. The other one actually is but this guy at juvie age was way to mature in color almost resembling spawning color at 2" the color was deep like the Bluehead discus without the verticle lines. Anyways, it took awhile after handling him to get the color off my hands and in the following photo you can see much of the color on the white paper. This is not scales but color bleeding so I am guessing it was freshly done to complete an order. I would love to name the company I bought them from but need to pin the culprit and advoid slander suits. Sorry for the shaky photos, I was completely pumped with adrenaline and looking for someone to unleash on. Luckily I live not too far away from the distributor and can pay him a visit based on the sickest thing I have ever encountered in the aquarium hobby. Mind you I don't buy painted fish so maybe fish pooping out streams of color is a natural occurence with Parrots and such. Like I said excuse the bad photography, I may have to unpack the salty dead guy and then I will try to get more and better photos, The photo's were okay though seeing that I almost blew a vein in my head and the old lady was just as choked because he stood out best when we got him.

post-5-1109872672

Apparently as the company said, these discus are Thailand bred and are hormoned to show color sooner for easier sale, no response to how the hormone could cause a trail of blue dye to stream behind a fish or color rubbing off on my hands. I don't think a hormone could do any of these things, furthermore, shouldn't a company have to tell you that their fish are hormone filled before you purchase? I am against hormones completely so none of these fish are for sale and I am mad as Hell. Hormones alone would increase a fishes life span and I am sure create a bad gene pool nevermind the chance of them being sterile. So what does one do? Wait to find out or destroy the batch and save the room for quality stock? Or does one drive down to Winnipeg and spank the livin geesus out of the sales reps?

And I'll vote for.....

drive down to Winnipeg and spank the livin geesus out of the sales reps?

:guns: :boxer: :guns: :boxer: :guns: :boxer: :guns:

Sadly ive heard worse, ive seen a pic once but i cant find it now, but its the same as "making" a heart parrot, they cut the tail off when young and the fish grows into a "heart" shape like the ones in this pic, there is also a "unicorn" variety of bp, you can guess what they go there :cry:

post-5-1109928764

Oxquo, a suggestion when dealing with this distributor. But first write a spanking arcticle on this subject and inparticular on the discus. Once done (also great stress relief) discuss with the distributor how they would like it posted. For example, in all the Club trade papers, in TFA, local news papers, trade magazines, in or on all know discus websites or all of the above. You have the power to make a point and set a precedence. Should see sales to there local customer list drop off rather quickly on discus...dont you think..

Garhan

Besides that Oxquo and correct me if my memory has failed me. But wasnt there some form of legislation set out not long ago on the importing/retailing of dyed fish. I thought you and I seen some fish in Calgary there were siezed by the government. Maybe we need to start a list of retailers and distributors that practice this buying program. (Or at the least put them on the honorable mention list with the appropriate governing legislation group, either federal or provincial) After all it would not be deemed slanderous if it is true and factual. Now there is a loose word that cival libritarian barristers and solicters like to throw around for attention and a money grab.

-roll- -01- -07-

Garhan

Edited by Garhan

I stand to be corrected on the dyed fish issue. Last night Andy and I discussed this topic. His recall on this legislation is the injection of "glow hormones" from a deep water octopus into Danios. He is right and refreshed my memory.

None the less dying fish to enhance marketability is a sick thought. Maybe we should start dying models to make them more appealing to the general public. Something like a "Bright Yellow Fabio" or a bright Blue Pamella A.

But it is only a fish, they have no feelings and are treated as an inept, nontangible item rather than a living thing, do this to your dog, cat, horse, Guinea Pig, Rabbit and you would have a huge out cry.

Garhan