New big tank project in planning...!!!

Boom

So my wife and I were talking last night and she said that for our anniversary, she wants to get me a BIG tank and let me build it into the wall in the basement. It'll be either a 150 or (preferably) a 180 gallon tank! I do custom woodworking so it'll be built into a wall space that is 11'9" wide and 2' deep with custom cabinets underneath, canopy, and shelving all around for storage of books, games and kids toys etc.

Filtration will likely be handled by a large sump tank (about 50 gallons), and I am considering heating that or having in-line heaters.

I will post progress pics as I go.

Now, what to put in it...???

I was thinking 2 large groups of Tropheus. Could I put other tanganykn fish in with them?

Other thoughts?

I'm so excited!

Sounds like a beaut! I've never kept Tropheus, but they're on my must-have list for "Someday". I've heard they're quite aggressive, but I would try some cats - Synodontis eupterus is my fav.

Looks like it will be a 150, don't have a tank yet tho. Still looking for one.

To use a sump does the tank HAVE to be drilled and have overflows?

What other options do I have for enough DIY filtration, Can I build my own large cannister filter?