Build it

Shai

Today I set up a 5.5g tank on my desk. The day I went out to get the equipment, I found the PERFECT crowntail betta, but I hadn't actually picked up the tank yet (they didn't have anything appropriate at the LFS that had the betta)...and by the time I got back to the LFS the betta was gone. ;_; (I wasn't going to spend an hour driving around the city picking up equipment with a betta in a bag in the car.)

Oh well. There will be other bettas!

Right now the tank is running with a filter but no media. The media is already seeded and ready and waiting stuffed inside another filter on one of my other tanks. I'm hoping to get lucky at one of my local LFSes this week. : )

The tank has black sand, a hunk of decorative blue-ish glass, a small piece of driftwood and the following plants:

- Limnophila sessiflora

- Anubias nana

- Egeria densa

- Cryptocoryne wendtii "green"

- Ludwigia repens

It has a 10W CF bulb over it. I'll be dosing Excel and some liquid ferts. Tonight the water is still a little cloudy from setting up and there are still a ton of little bubbles everywhere. I'll be picking up a background tomorrow.

Pics:

116.jpg

5-5g01.jpg

5-5g02.jpg

The bubbles have all gone and I have a background now:

5-5g03.jpg

Still no betta. I'm aiming for a crowntail but it's got to be just the right one. I may have to resort to AquaBid. :D

Thanks for the comments!

But still no fish! I'm having trouble finding something I like. Transhipping on AquaBid made the cost too expensive for my blood.

I'm partial to crowntails. Where's a good place in the city to get good ones that aren't the same old, same old? What about local breeders, etc?

Edited by Shai

Your tank is beautiful and I am positive what ever Betta you go with they will be so happy!

It is or can be hard to find the perfect Betta. I know when I went to PJ's there was this one it was stunning, I wanted it so bad but thought I better wait, well shoot I went back and someone else purchased it, they just obtained a shipment and wouldn't sell any, and there was a nice teal one in the mix...

So we obtained a black bodied teal fin splended and my son obtained a blackish/rust colored bodied with red fins crown tail, I took pictures of him tonight but they are kind of blurry...

Lana

I was at one of those LFSes recently and all the bettas were pretty sad looking (lethargic, a number of them looked dead or near dead). I was both surprised and disappointed because usually they're in better shape. The other LFS is a hefty drive but I'm on vacation for a few weeks now so I might take another jaunt over there.

I'll have to send Black Mbumba a PM as well! Thanks for the suggestions. : )

• 3 weeks later...

I finally found myself a gorgeous betta today! He's smaller than what I usually find at chain LFSes so I'm hoping he's younger than most.

I just got home and am still acclimatizing him so he's pale and still in the bag (so he won't flare either), so the pics don't do him justice at all. But! He's a gorgeous double ray crowntail and I'm pretty sure he counts as a "copper"--he has the same kind of coloring as other bettas I saw on Aquabid that were labeled as copper, including a "copper gold" I was sorely tempted to get except for the price. His body is mainly blue and he has a gorgeous lilac sheen with some paler pastel yellow/green highlights. Under incandescent lights they don't show very well, but once he's settled into the tank and has the proper tank bulb over him I'm certain he'll color up very nicely.

I might be willing to lend him out if anyone wants to breed him--not sure if he's too young still for that?

I also plan to get some Christmas moss and build a moss wall in this tank to reduce the reflections in the back--and more greenery will be better for the water quality. : )

Pics! What should I name him??

betta01.jpg

betta02.jpg

Edited by Shai