Albino BN's

katmintblue

Hi! Just thought I would try to find out what is up with Mr. Whiskers & Fishy Fish. Mr Whiskers is usually on his driftwood & likes to hang out in his small ship. We introduced a female "Fishy Fish" a while ago. She is usually hanging out wherever she feels. Well, since last night I couldn't find either one of them. I finally found Mr. Whiskers as he poked his head out of the ship. Shortly after Fishy Fish came out. Again this morning they were both missing. Well, several hours later, Fishy Fish is out of the ship. Mr. Whiskers will not leave the ship. He will occasionally poke his head out of the ship & then zips right back in. I even tried to tempt both of them with Zucchini. Mr. Whiskers came out of the ship & started to nibble on it but, when another fish swam by he hurried back into his ship & will not come out. There has never been any issue of another fish of any kind entering the ship. Mr. Whiskers claimed it since day one & no-one wants to challenge him for his home. I also did make a cave for them but, neither Mr. Whiskers or Fishy Fish have any interest in it! Any idea as to what is going on with these two? Thanks in advance, Kat

Thank you for the congrats!!! I am hoping to have some babies!!! :-)' It has only been a month since the female was introduced. WOW!!! That was fast!!! Now, do I leave the ship in the tank (55g) or move it w/ or w/out Mr. Whiskers???? I have a 2.5g tank for babies & it is empty at this time. Advice & thoughts are greatly appreciated! I have not been to this point before. This will be my first egg layers. I have only dealt with live bearers to this point. Thanks in advance for any & all help or advice!!!! Kat :thumbs:

What else is in the tank? If you're not wanting to keep all the babies (a 2.5 gal will only be good for the first couple weeks), then you should do fine leaving them in the tank. Some will fall prey to other fish, but you should have at least a few last. What I've found w. BNs is as long as their well fed and healthy, they'll spawn every 3wks to month - so you shouldn't really have any shortage of BNs :)

Well, sorry to say that they didn't spawn anything!!! I was doing some tank maintenance & decided to have a little peek & there was nothing inside the ship. DRAT! I was so looking forward to seeing some little ones around. Well, will have to wait for the next time they are acting weird! Hope it is soon! I would really like to see some babies! Kat

Could be that they did spawn, but being their first time, either the eggs were eaten by them or by another fish. It happens!! If you were to remove the ship, you will probably want to do it before the eggs hatch. Then you will need something to fan or aerate the eggs, I have used an airstone right beside the eggs before and it seemed to work ok. As well you will need to remove any eggs that grow fungus (or turn white) as these are no longer good. Instead of removing them you can also use an antifungal med in the tank, and this will prevent the eggs from turning into fungus. I normally like to leave the eggs with the parents and let them do all the work lol, then removing them shortly after they hatch. Hopefully next time it will definitely be good news :)