egg/fry question

cale262

My Bolivian Rams have layed eggs once again, the last fry batch's didn't last long after they started swimming...I would like to have some of this batch survive... I have a small 20gal cycled and ready with plants and driftwood... my BR's have attached their eggs to a flat stone, My question is when is the best time to move the fry? should I wait until they hatch or is it better to just move the egg littered stone into the 20 now?

TIA,

Brian

If you remove the eggs, the parents will never get the knack of keeping their kids. Rams often need a few tries before figuring out that the kids are not snacks. :huh:

If you want to keep some, siphon off about 1/2 the brood once they hatch and pour them into the 20. Have a good sized wad of Java Moss in there for them to munch on (they eat the microscopic bugs that live in it). I've also found that NLS H2O wafers are good for fry - probably only a 1/4 wafer at a time - and crushed NLS Grow mixed with water delivered right to the fry works too.

Good luck! :thumbs:

If you remove the eggs, the parents will never get the knack of keeping their kids. Rams often need a few tries before figuring out that the kids are not snacks. :huh:

ROFLMFAO :rofl: I think I got lucky there, they defended the last batch from the cory's like rabid dogs but I think when the lights went out every night (fry lasted 4 nights) the cory's gorged themselves,...I'll take your advice and siphon a few off once they are swimmers and go from there,

thanx J,

Brian.

• 3 weeks later...
another thing you can feed the Ram fry is frozen rotifiers for about a 4-6 days after the egg sac has been eaten, then after that the Ram fry mouths will be big enough to eat freshly hatched BBS

Rams are not fans of hard water especially when they're fry. Perhaps check your water and see. Also ram fry like a little salt and very clean water too. I'm trying to get my GBRs going but it hasn't been easy!!! Good luck to you and let us know how it goes!!

another thing you can feed the Ram fry is frozen rotifiers for about a 4-6 days after the egg sac has been eaten, then after that the Ram fry mouths will be big enough to eat freshly hatched BBS

Rams are not fans of hard water especially when they're fry. Perhaps check your water and see. Also ram fry like a little salt and very clean water too. I'm trying to get my GBRs going but it hasn't been easy!!! Good luck to you and let us know how it goes!!

Are you getting your info from local breeders, or just off the internet? I've never heard that ram fry like salt. I have bred and raised many fish that "don't like hard water" in Edmonton tap water without much problems. At worst I've had to cut it with some RO (some Apistos, Blue Rams and close-to-wild angels).

Are you getting your info from local breeders, or just off the internet? I've never heard that ram fry like salt. I have bred and raised many fish that "don't like hard water" in Edmonton tap water without much problems. At worst I've had to cut it with some RO (some Apistos, Blue Rams and close-to-wild angels).

Actually I got the information from the breeder of my GBRs who's located in Edmonton. I'm not sure what he does to ensure good spawns from his rams but I know he does something with the water. I haven't had any success with mine in Calgary but really haven't been prepared. I do breed angels with Calgary water with no problems though.

Actually I got the information from the breeder of my GBRs who's located in Edmonton. I'm not sure what he does to ensure good spawns from his rams but I know he does something with the water. I haven't had any success with mine in Calgary but really haven't been prepared. I do breed angels with Calgary water with no problems though.

GBR and BR have completely different water req's...