tropheus

Fishful Thinking

Update on the tropheus: things are going well with the two tanks. However, in each tank the BN that I had in it has been killed. With the kiriza, I could almost understand that because some of those fish are over 3 inches. But the Chimbas cannot be 1.5 inches yet and they took down a 3.5 inch pleco! Mean little guys...

Evil! Good thing Tropheus are algae-grazers... might just have to get a MagFloat to keep the glass clean. I used one on my SW tanks, and loved how the algae would cover the back and the sides, and I could keep the front clean.

Has anyone successfully mixed synodontis petricolas with tropheus? I am looking at this to grow some out before I move them into my haps tank to join the group that I have in there. I was thinking my chimba as they are 1.5", but with the BN just going down, I don't know if I want to risk it. Then again, the petricolas seem to move a lot quicker than the BN and do not just sit there as much. Also, what is the growth rate for the synos? Thanks!

Greg, you'll be fine with synodontis in there for sure. They live in the same lake and they have sharp barbs on their dorsal fin and face that poke any fish that tryes to pick on them. I have had 3 in with many various fish in my 55, and now in the 180 full of mbuna, and NO ONE picks on them. Not even that big mean tropheus you gave me! Haha.

Boom :boom:

Edited by Boom

I think you'd be fine to throw them in your 150 right away if you wanted. Syno's aren't like plecos. Nobody will touch them. I'm told even if a farge fish does try to grab one, it'd be released right away and thats the last time that fish would try that! The syno's have some nasty barbs I guess.

Boom :boom: