Update on my BBXB

rudy

nice xb ~~ but personally i feel your lights are too strong for the bbxb and it might lead to DE ... you do not need to tan a xb... if you saw the xb photos that i posted...i have less powerful lights and it still causes the slight DE on one side...

as per your question to how to prevent it, cover the tank up with newspaper or use whatever...cover it up and leave the xb in darkness for 2-3weeks you will see a marked difference... to use this method effectively u have to apply it when the DE problem is not too severe if not it will not work if you allow the problem to get worse..

Plus having those strong lights will result in a xb with a 'burnt' back which means the crossback will never fully cross due to that.

just sharing my own personal experience...i could be wrong

Edited by arovillage

nice xb ~~ but personally i feel your lights are too strong for the bbxb and it might lead to DE ... you do not need to tan a xb... if you saw the xb photos that i posted...i have less powerful lights and it still causes the slight DE on one side...

I dont mean to hijack this thread but isn't drop eye caused by to much protein or fat in the diet?

Thats just what I had read.

I dont mean to hijack this thread but isn't drop eye caused by to much protein or fat in the diet?

Thats just what I had read.

diet, environment and genetics play a part... but if you are talking about genes, Super reds are more prone then any other aros cos they simply tend to have more fatty deposits behind the eyes. (this is a known fact amongst most breeders)

many aro keepers have experienced this problem with too strong lights and after they either put the arowanas in mud ponds or some cover up their tanks and keep the aros in darkness for a couple weeks ....it appears that the DE becomes better~ the thing is to catch the problem early....from what i can see in rudy's case, i am very sure the bbxb came without DE and being such a young aro diet wouldn't have played such a huge part at all. Thus the only thing is environment which he is using 2 x 10000k lights.... too strong imo... i was lazy to fix up a cool white FL and used 6700k T5 and it causes the DE in the xb that i have now....like i have said these are my personal experiences ... i have nothing scientific to back me up...