red empress qestion

rED O

I picked up 3 large female red empresses today at the auction and I put them with my 4 inch male in my 75 gallon witch I hope to breed them in. I have 3 females and one male and lots of hiding spots. I introduced the females about a hour ago and the male is going nuts, one of the females fins is already getting ripped up. what should I do? add another female? try and get more hides with the tank is already full? should I just wait to see what might happen and let things play out. Any advice form red empress breeders and keepers?

Are there other fish in with them ? The easiest way to stop aggressive behavior is to crowd the fish. The male might be a bit excited and is temporarily going into overdrive and he might calm down after a while, if not you could try to remove him for a few days and let the females settle in. One male/3 female ratio is fine for them. When I add adult fish into a tank that already contains fish I find it is better to do so just before lights out.

Another trick I was taught is to use a large net and put the aggressive fish in time out. Suspend the net up in the corner of the tank . Apparently this causes some humility,he feels he's no longer top dog and he behaves better once released a day or two later.

update: there is way less agresstion than last night, the male is showing off now, he chases the largest female the most but This I belive is the breeding behavior

Sounds like it

I would take him out for a few days. This is one of the reasons I try to get my breeders or juvies all at the same time it is just easier not to deal with overzealous breeding or territorial issues---you could also try rearranging the tank decor but I would still take the male out for a while

I would agree with pulling the male out. If you let the females settle in then re- introduce the male, the agression shouldn't be much of an issue. I don't know if this would work but what about more females??At least the aggression is spread to 6 or 7 instead of 3!!

I can store your male or sell you some females! Storing is free as long as you waive the studding fees. :shock:

Derek

You don't need 7 females unless you are planning a feeder factory, I find Red empress to be fine in pairs or trios your male is going a bit berserk right now because he isn't used to having the females around. I think gravid females release some kind of hormone that makes all male haplochromines a bit wacko, just put him in a bucket for a couple days (fish often stay in bags for this long during shipping) and let the females settle in. You have to remember they are confused right now and they have a horny male taking shots at them constantly--I think things will be better after a couple days