horned calvus ?

kdpuffer

I have had these two for a couple of years. I,m sure I got them at golds. And they were bought as White Calvus. When they settle in there should be lots of white spots on ther sides. Never did ask about the horn , just thought it was cool. when they settle in Kyle please post more pictures. I would like to know the answer also.

And like I said before if there is something wrong with them I will take them back.

It's definitely a form of 'lock jaw'. I've only seen it in calvus/comp's, and it is fairly common (I have heard of it occurring in cyps as well, though never seen it myself). It first occurs when the fish extends it's 'lips' for food, and they don't correctly go back in place. It happens in them more often that other species because of how extrudable their lips are, there aren't too many other cichlids that have the reach or suction that the Alto's have. You can also tell because in the pictures the lips almost look half extended as well, and they aren't as upward pointing as they should be. If they've been around for a couple of years then there's definitely no reason to worry. It just doesn't look good in some people's opinions (I've heard of people catching them and helping to put the jaw back in place).

Hey no worries frank they are two of a kind who else has yellow faced unicorn calvus oh and the appetite has started to show a very welcome and unique addition to my tank thanks everyone for the help much appreciated and thanks again frank they are great

I have had these two for a couple of years. I,m sure I got them at golds. And they were bought as White Calvus. When they settle in there should be lots of white spots on ther sides. Never did ask about the horn , just thought it was cool. when they settle in Kyle please post more pictures. I would like to know the answer also.

And like I said before if there is hsomething wrong with them I will take them back.

And like I said before if there is something wrong with them I will take them back.

Interesting. I bought my so called "white" calvus from golds as well. Don't have the bumps, but they do sometimes turn a yellow color in their faces.