horned calvus ?

kdpuffer

I just bought a pair of calvus at the cas auction and they both have a " horn " between their eyes and mouth I havve looked into it and have yet to find any fish let alone calvus that shows this traight one fish is 3" the other is 4" look just like black calvus but with a yellow face any help on identifying would be great I can email photos

Sounds like their jaw popped out of place. It won't usually effect them too much, but sometimes they do have trouble eating. For some it pops in and out on their own, for others, once it's out it doesn't go back in. Guessing if they were at the auction like that they were being sold because their jaw hasn't popped back on its own.

Here is a poor picture of one the fish Klye is talking about. If you look close you can see the horn on his head.

Is this caused by his jaws being locked ?? Did not know that it was possible for a fish to get lock jaw. And no this is not the reason I sold them. Some more info on this would be great.

And Kyle if there is a problem with them I will take them back.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I,m sure Kyle will post some better pictures soon.

I will try and post a close up now frank I am assuming they had no problem eating since they are nice and fat though they have not eaten for me but from my research that's common with calvus. What did you feed them? Have they always had the horn? Also when you got them where they the same size?

I will try and post a close up now frank I am assuming they had no problem eating since they are nice and fat though they have not eaten for me but from my research that's common with calvus. What did you feed them? Have they always had the horn? Also when you got them where they the same size?

They were different sizes when I got them ,About a inch and a inch and a half. And yes they always had the horn.

They were being fed frozen brine shrimp. 1mm nls and a bit of veggie flake. Try the shimp , i,m sure they will eat that.

They were different sizes when I got them ,About a inch and a inch and a half. And yes they always had the horn.

They were being fed frozen brine shrimp. 1mm nls and a bit of veggie flake. Try the shimp , i,m sure they will eat that.

ok so here are pics unable to get really close but got one of each fish and you can see the black "horn i am talking about nice and clear also if herald checks back in here you think these guys may be gold heads? the larger of the two has lightened up alot but you can see the yellow in the face and there is also a faint yellow tint in the fins.

post-3196-1224024634_thumb.jpg

post-3196-1224024665_thumb.jpg

Kyle:

If they both have yellow on the face and fins they are definitely not black calvus - at least not pure blacks. It is really hard to I.D. them if they are still a little stressed and darker than what they will eventually look like. My guess is yellow calvus which turn more white with the yellow face and fins or goldhead compressiceps which remain darker with the yellow face and front fins. They are the only ones I know of that have the yellow. Just have to wait it out and see what the body color really is.

As far as the "horn" I doubt it is lockjaw or a scale. Lockjaw affects the mouth area and there are for sure no scales on the face that large. Facial scales are relatively small compared to the larger scales on the body which are used for defense and if you have ever seen the horseshoe shape of the body that they assume when they are discouraging another fish from getting too close you can actually see the scales and how large and pointed they are. Also if it were a scale it would be a very high odds chance that 2 fish would have the same problem. My guess here is that it is likely a deformity or possibly the result of crossbreeding. I've never seen anything like that on any pure calvus or compressiceps and it is not natural. The slope on the face is smooth and uniform.

Post some more pictures after the body color settles down and we can maybe help as these are just guesses right now.

Harold