uv sterilizers

Good to control algae in ponds. Proper tank maint. you probably don't need one. They have 2 purposes to kill algae and to kill parasites (depending on light strength and flow rate)

Thanks for the input , thats my problem " algae and i had a bad case of ich " lost a bunch of fish in my marine tank . I think the ich is gone [still have about 10 fish left ]

I have a 150 gal tank that got ich about a month ago , used polyp lab medic for the time recomended , but I was reading net and don't know if it is worth the investment .

UV seems to be a good idea as we have one on our hot tub , and when the bulb quit working the algae took hold real fast . I dont have a lot of options as to lighting right

now [ long story ] so i thougth that UV was a relitivly cheap and safe way to help . do you know anyone who uses one and any idea to which brand or make would be

worth looking into if I decided to buy one ??????????? . all help apprecieted . thanks

IMO UV filters are not that cheep. Do you have direct sunlight on you tank, algea love that, How long do you leave the tank lights on.

Algea in you hot tub?? You should test your water more often to maintain proper water peramiters (hum. just like a fish tank)

I do have a UV filter on my tank but it was one of those impulse purchases some thing I didn't have so I got one, (from Pisces Pet Emporium) realy dont know if it makes a difference or not.

A simple way to get rid of the Algea is to turn the lights off cover the tank with a thick blanket (so no light get in) and no peeking for 48 hours and dont feed the fish. Do you have plants in you tank?

IMO UV filters are not that cheep. Do you have direct sunlight on you tank, algea love that, How long do you leave the tank lights on.

Algea in you hot tub?? You should test your water more often to maintain proper water peramiters (hum. just like a fish tank)

I do have a UV filter on my tank but it was one of those impulse purchases some thing I didn't have so I got one, (from Pisces Pet Emporium) realy dont know if it makes a difference or not.

A simple way to get rid of the Algea is to turn the lights off cover the tank with a thick blanket (so no light get in) and no peeking for 48 hours and dont feed the fish. Do you have plants in you tank?

No there is no direct sunlight on tank ,Lights on for about 8 hours,No plants and yes we checked peramiters on an almost daily basis ( same with hot tub LOL ). tried turning

lights off for few days and it works , but my bubble tip anenomes dont like that much ( as you know they need the light for photosinthisis ). I just thought that UV

might help as we spent a lot of money to this point ( 150 gal TENACOR aqrilic tank ) so a few hundred bucks was not a big deal if i knew it would help. We have no

corals ( to much work and worry , been there tried that ) I just thought that after losing a bunch of fish to ICH that it might be a way to help kill off paresites .

We are setting up a quarentine tank now to put new fish in before adding them to main tank . Thanks for the input again . still don't know if I will buy one yet .

I purchased a 24 watt UV for around $125 at petland......as an impulse buy lol. I am sure you can probably get better quality ones, but they might have a higher price tag. I have seen some for ridiculous prices. Mine is an AA brand, you can check these ones out at www.aa-aquarium.com. But I would suggest doing your research into them and finding out what type will suit your needs and size of tank best. Not all UV's go into the aquarium the same, as some are separate internal, and some hook up to your filter line. I did do some research into them before buying one to find out more info on them, I just couldn't wait around to shop around for better deals :)

I am also trying an experiment with my UV on my planted tank to see if it helps get rid of the green dust algae I was having problems with. It is day 3 now and the glass still looks sparkling clean. And as for treatment of Ich on marine fish I think it is an excellent idea. I know ich in FW is fairly easy to treat with raising the temp and adding salt, but in marine as far as I know the only option most people choose to use are meds (which many can be harmful to invertebrates and corals). We have found when any of our fish appear to have any gill flukes or any other external parasite, the UV has gotten rid of it.

Here is the UV I have http://www.aa-aquarium.com/showroom4.php?id=157&level=1

Edited by firestorm

Get one you will like it.

I just got a 24w internal uv sterilizer about two weeks ago. Installed it in a 75 gal tank and it is great.

It treats up to a 106 gal Saltwater or fresh water. Has a flow rate of 120 gal per hr.

Let it run a week then cleaned the algae off the glass. No sign of it coming back. And the water is so clear.

Love it. Now I just need to win the Lotto so I can add them to all my tanks..lol

Makes alot less work . Now it is just a water change and no cleaning algae off the glass.

So I say yes to a UV sterilizer :thumbs:

I purchased a 24 watt UV for around $125 at petland......as an impulse buy lol. I am sure you can probably get better quality ones, but they might have a higher price tag. I have seen some for ridiculous prices. Mine is an AA brand, you can check these ones out at www.aa-aquarium.com. But I would suggest doing your research into them and finding out what type will suit your needs and size of tank best. Not all UV's go into the aquarium the same, as some are separate internal, and some hook up to your filter line. I did do some research into them before buying one to find out more info on them, I just couldn't wait around to shop around for better deals :)

I am also trying an experiment with my UV on my planted tank to see if it helps get rid of the green dust algae I was having problems with. It is day 3 now and the glass still looks sparkling clean. And as for treatment of Ich on marine fish I think it is an excellent idea. I know ich in FW is fairly easy to treat with raising the temp and adding salt, but in marine as far as I know the only option most people choose to use are meds (which many can be harmful to invertebrates and corals). We have found when any of our fish appear to have any gill flukes or any other external parasite, the UV has gotten rid of it.

Here is the UV I have http://www.aa-aquarium.com/showroom4.php?id=157&level=1

Thanks for your help ,Im still reasurching , Running 50/50 on this subject some people hate them some love them , maybe I should buy a pet ROCK lol .

• 3 weeks later...

I have UV on half my tanks and the clarity of the water is amazing. I originally got them for my EBJD tanks. (for parasites) I just put a 36 watt on my ray tank because she is such a messy eater and clouds the water. If you want to kill parisites the flow rate should be 10gph for every watt. So if you have a 9 watt you need 90gph of flow.

I have a 24watt UV built right in to a canister filter on a 72gal planted tank, And I think it's one of the greatest things since sliced bread. I have had it on the tank now for about 2 years and like Frank said in an earlier reply, no algae. Also no treatments for parasites or diseases and crystal clear water.

I just got my second one last weekend and installed on a 90 gal.. Love it . The only wat to go I think.