Meet my Metallic Copper Plakat

BlackMumba

WOW! Since you know a lot about Betta's.........

I am getting the feeling from this forum that the betta lovers have pretty nice tanks for their fish. Why do lfs' tell you they are very happy in a little vase or bowl? I was told they were happier in smaller spaces, they get stressed in big tanks.

I had my betta in my community tank, but with the gourami in there, they were too similar, and didn't get along. (there are some similarities to the two species right??)

I took, him out of my 45 gal, put him in with a few tetra's and molly's in my 10 gal, and he ended up getting "pop-eye". I took him out of there and put him in a 4 L vase. He recovered, seems happy, but when I see the nice setups here on the forum for betta's, I get the feeling he is being jipped.

Could being in with other fish have stressed him and contributed to the pop-eye? No other fish got sick. I watch my tanks all throughout the day here and never saw him getting bugged.

Should I try him back in my 45 gal comm. tank now? I lost my gourami a while ago. There are GBR's, Bolivian Rams, Congo tetras, Killi Fish and Loaches...oh and 4 glass catfish and a pleco.

WOW! Since you know a lot about Betta's.........

I am getting the feeling from this forum that the betta lovers have pretty nice tanks for their fish. Why do lfs' tell you they are very happy in a little vase or bowl? I was told they were happier in smaller spaces, they get stressed in big tanks.

Well, the LFS is telling you because they can do okay in a bowl or vase because where they come from they can survive months in a little puddle.. but does it mean they prefer smaller quarters no not really... they are a tropical fish and need heated water.. although I have no choice to jar them until they find forever homes but I change water so frequently this is never an issue.

I had my betta in my community tank, but with the gourami in there, they were too similar, and didn't get along. (there are some similarities to the two species right??)

Yes they are labryrinth fish (they have a specialized bone above the gill chamber, all fish from the Anabantoids family have this which includes the Gourami. This feature helps them survive and thrive where water is polluted from plant decay, they require little oxygen, so they can survive in little water for a long duration. Betta's are naturally territorial and slow swimming fish.. they prefer to be alone or with small groups if female. Some people have success with a community tank but on the majority no they don't, and this can stress them greatly.

I took, him out of my 45 gal, put him in with a few tetra's and molly's in my 10 gal, and he ended up getting "pop-eye". I took him out of there and put him in a 4 L vase. He recovered, seems happy, but when I see the nice setups here on the forum for betta's, I get the feeling he is being jipped.

You can do alot with just a 2.5 gal tank, and he will be happier then a bug in a rug.. all of mine are in 2.5 gal tanks, they breed in the as well.. he would only be jipped if he is not happy and stressed.. You can add a few plants to a small tank and a sponge filter some subtrate a rock large or smaller stones... paint the back of the tank black or any color for contrast.. plant a few sprigs of plants and presto.. one happy boy or girl.

Could being in with other fish have stressed him and contributed to the pop-eye?
Yes see above.. :thumbs:
Should I try him back in my 45 gal comm. tank now?
No why, he is happy.. a 4 litre vase is fine.. maybe you might find another solution... :thumbs: try a few different things.. if he is doing better I wouldn't change anything.

This is a beauty I picked up a couple months ago!! I have since had him spawn and produce alot babies soon to be for sale in the new year!! :thumbs:

Hey,

it's your betta buddy from the Edmonton show. He's so gorgeous!!!! Are you going to the Edmonton auction? I have fish to trade if you're interested including some wilds. Let me know!! Your dt female that you gave me is really looking well. Am still trying to figure out if I have a good boy for her!!

betta0020-750@.jpg

betta0021-750@.jpg

betta0022-750@.jpg

Hey!! Well I didn't plan on going, I don't have alot currently to bring to auction all my are either my breeders and or fry..

What kinds of wilds you got? Patrick my other half is attending..

So, glad to hear she is doing well, I lost that male eh... to a mysterious death.. don't know what happened.. but I did manage to spawn this copper male with his sister... she was his female double. Alas she got egg bound and died shortly after this spawn... she was fine one morning then after work I looked in her tank there was eggs everywhere.. and she was dead.. but I have her offspring...

I am thinking the colors are going to be awesome together..

Pm me with whatcha bringing.. I have nothing for trade.. :unsure: unless you want some fry? I have alot !!! 8 week olds and 4 week olds from PK's to HM/lf

the oldest are 1.5cm and the smallest are well small still eating brine shrimp.. the older ones are learning about dry foods but not always sure what to do with it..

:thumbs: