Pleco only tank?

stribbelldk

I was think of doing a pleco only tank. I currently have 4 L-333 tiger pecos 4 albino BN and 4 Reg BN. I want to buy mangos and a gold nuggets.

From what I researched, I fond that they have similar water parameters, but different diets. They should be able to go in one tank.

My question is, if I plan on breeding they , is it better to have speices only tanks? will they hybridize?

Does any one else have a pleco only tank? I see some poeple recommend a dither fish in there, is that nessesary?

Should I buff down the ph? any special decorations? I have a low custum tank it is 30"L x 14"D x 12"H, will that be better than a reg 50 gallon??

Any and all info would be great.

Derek

I don't see any problems keeping them together. A low tank w. a large footprint is ideal, since any hight would be wasted in a pleco-only tank. Your BNs may mix, but they're probably the same species, so it's not a big deal. If your Albinos and Regs mix, all the kids will be regular. The 333s will most-likely stick to their own.

For feeding, I'd probably drop a zuccini on a fork in there for the BNs and feel NLS wafers (everyone will like those) - I usually toss in one wafer per pleco so they don't fight too much. The 333s would probably also like the occassional offering of Mysis, too.

HTH

If I have more than 4 of a particular pleco species I'll give them their own tank. I always include some dither fish to fill up the upper levels of the tank and to give the plecs a reassurance that they are not alone. They still prefer to have hidey holes/caves anyway. I've got three dedicated plec tanks that have some angels in the mid-levels. I'll throw in endlers or guppies in plec breeding tanks. I guess I'm trying to give them a hint...