Feeding live fresh water shrimp

geleen

Has anyone fed live, fresh water shrimp? The ones I captured are about 3/4 inch long.

I am not sure if I even want to put them in the tank; they move quite fast.

Would they reproduce in an aquarium?

John

Edited by geleen

What kind of shrimp are you talking about? Are you talking about the little Gammarus that live in a bunch of hte 'lakes' around town? Your fish would love them, but they may carry diseases. Aparently, they're pretty easy to keep and breed, tho.

What kind of shrimp are you talking about? Are you talking about the little Gammarus that live in a bunch of hte 'lakes' around town? Your fish would love them, but they may carry diseases. Aparently, they're pretty easy to keep and breed, tho.

Not a clue...I scooped some out of a ~1 acre deep pool with hundreds of koi and goldfish. They look kind of ugly and dark and I may just chuck them. :rolleyes: It seemed like a good idea at the time.

John

Not a clue...I scooped some out of a ~1 acre deep pool with hundreds of koi and goldfish. They look kind of ugly and dark and I may just chuck them. :rolleyes: It seemed like a good idea at the time.

John

Many of the farmers that have Rainbow trout in dugouts make sure that those shrimp are in the dugout for the fish to feed on....

There is probably little chance of there being a problem.....

The fresh water shrimp can carry a parasite that needs another host (ie a fish) to complete the cycle. Apparently if they have a spot (red?) in their body it is the parasite. The info was either on the government of Alberta or the UofA site I don't remember which.

The following may also be of help.

http://bio-ditrl.sunsite.ualberta.ca/detail/?P_MNO=2954

Branchinecta mackini (lower) is a relatively large fairy shrimp, about 25 mm in length. But it is dwarfed by its giant cousin, Branchinecta gigas, which can achieve a length of 100 mm. Branchinecta gigas is known to occur in east-central Alberta (it was a subject of a Ph.D thesis at the University of Alberta*), but probably is found in other areas of Alberta as well. Besides its large size, gigas is an atypical fairy shrimp because it is predacious, feeding on a variety of invertebrates. Other fairy shrimp feed mainly on small organic particles including detritus and algae. *Daborn, G. R. 1973. Community structure and energetics in an argillotrophic lake, with special reference to the giant fairy shrimp, Branchinecta gigas Lynch. Ph.D. thesis. University of Alberta. Photograph: Randy Mandryk.